Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
float tubing & life jackets
Now i know its state law to wear a life jacket when float tubing but i dont ever recall seeing someone wearing one ever and my float tube is basically one in its own because i have a seat back to blow up an actual seat to blow up and two seperate toons to blow up now the odds of all 4 popping have gotta be 1 billion to 1
[signature]
[cool]Wow. I didn't know that it was state law to wear a life jacket in a tube? I'm not saying it ain't true, I'm just saying that I didn't know that! I've got a fish cat 2 and it's got 2 seperate air chambers, as well as 2 huge pieces of foam floatation stuff for the chair. I would think that if the two chambers lost air for some reason,that I could at least hang on to the 2 large pieces of foam that make up my chair which I kick back to shore, or hang out out in the middle of the lake for someone to boat on out to rescue me.

I don't have the instructions to my tube anymore, but if I remember right, I think they said something in there about my seat being a safety flotation device in the event of an emergency if the two air chambers popped or lost air somehow. Maybe TubeDude knows the answer to this, since he has a fishcat 4. I think he has to go to Idaho for some family business though, so he might not see this thread.
[signature]
You guys are forgetting that you might not be conscious enough to grab onto and hold your tube. Also, there are many accident scenarios, not just your tube popping. What about a boat hitting you? What about the wind dumping you and blowing your tube away faster than you can get it?

It's a dangerous argument to say well my tube is a life-jacket, because it isn't. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who have drowned in small boats/tubes/whatever have justified themselves not using a life-jacket somehow.
[signature]
[cool][blue][size 2]In Utah, having a life vest (PFD) for float tubing is a case of letter of the law vs spirit of the law. In the olden days, rangers on the lakes would wave you off if you had more than one air chamber in your craft. They no longer accept that as compliance. However, they do cut us tubers and tooners the same slack as they do for boaters. As long as you have a vest within easy reach, you are okay. I keep a good lightweight Stearns vest tucked behind the seat of my Fat Cat, where it is both out of the way, but easily accessible. That keeps the enforcers at bay.

In California (the granola state), they are really strict on water safety laws. Float tubes are treated much the same as any other water craft, since they are on the same waters and constitute the same concerns for water safety and/or hazards for other watercraft. That means that tubes and 'toons have to have lights at night, and operators have to be wearing their PFD during operation.

To me, it is a case of practical vs potential. Sure, the potential for a disaster on the water is always there. After all, we cannot control how idiots in high powered boats or PWC are going to act, or if they have bad aim (or good aim). But, on the practical side, float tubes and pontoons are very safe craft from which to fish, and the number of accidents per fishing hour is almost nonexistent.

I have been fishing from float tubes for well over 40 years. Not once have I ever been in a situation in which I would have needed a PFD. Nor, have I ever witnessed such an incident. Sure, the potential is always there, but highly unlikely. And, as O4T points out, many tubes and toons have both multiple air chambers and added foam or inflated seats or back cushions, any of which would provide more flotation than many of the flimsy PFDs that are Coast Guard approved.

How about the argument that "What if you get knocked unconscious"? Hey, you can play "what if" all day long, on any issue. If you get hit by a boat and knocked out, you are likely to be injured severely enough that floatation is not going to save your behind. But, if you are wearing your vest, it will make it easier for them to recover your mangled body.

Me? I would rather be on Utah Lake in 10 foot waves, without a PFD than to spend time driving on Utah streets and freeways. Even when you are behind the wheel of a well built auto, you don't have much protection from all of the speed demons and wackos that can come at you from any direction.

But, the law says you need a PFD in your watercraft, and it is a good law. If you don't have one, get one and take it out with you on every trip. Like they say about an umbrella. It is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Be safe.
[/size][/blue]
[signature]
I actually picked up a Yakima inflatable vest. It's very lightweight, very small, and with the pull of the cord, boom! I've got an instant USCG approved PFD. They are not as expensive as the SoSpenders, and work just as well. I highly recommend them.
[signature]
Sighs... it is the law here, but here's the catch, you don't have to wear them, just attach your PFD to your float tube handle and you're set! You just buy one from walmart for like 10 bucks, the orange foam standards are like 4-5 bucks. Small price to pay vs. hassle from the watercops...

I've been on Utah Lake with waves, and it sure was fun riding the waves, oh yeah that day I forgot to affix it, and nobody gave me grief... but the danger lies in the fact the waves might be high enough that a boat could not see you in the trough of the wave... oops!

I've gotten more grief for not registering my electric float power at strawberry than I have without my PFD. Just so you know... that float power is one more addition to the float tube that can keep you up if your tube loses air... Just a thought.

I agree with Tube Dude, it is better to have it on than be sorry, especially at Deer Creek with those water nutcases...
[signature]
I wear one. I have a FC4 too, but it give the Mrs. some peace of mind. Peace of mind = more fishing time.
[signature]
Amen Nate.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Once again, wise words from the tubemeister. I think I'll start carrying a pfd in the back of my tube as well. Right behind my seat in that big open storage area.
[signature]
Just a thought. Does the word of law actually say a life vest or a PFD? I checked at some local stores and was told that you just need a PFD. I have been carrying a type 4 pfd on my tube which is legally aceptable for small crafts. It's the square type that can substitute as a seat cushion.
[signature]
Nope, I dont wear a life jacket. And if I ever think I do need one I dont think I should be on the water[Wink]

Now one of my friends thats going to get a float tube in the near future will wear a life jacket. Only because he doesnt know how to swim. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are on the water.
[signature]
People who don't WEAR PFD's and have a accident on the water DROWN.Happens every year to a few of us.Drowning cuts into your fishing [Smile]time.Don't rationalize it away.
[signature]
edited out
[signature]
unless the law has changed you dont have to wear one just have it with you its been several years since i have used my tube (bought a boat) but in my tube it would be big hinerence to wear one but i find it a personal choice if the waether is that bad dont go.....
[signature]