Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuts and Togues at Bear Lake 10-22-04
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]After watching the weather forecasts all week and getting some on-site reports from Fish1on, a few of us decided to brave the weather and hit Bear Lake for a day. [/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Bait_Caster, scottieb, and myself arrived at the marina around 7:30. Checked out all the new facilities there. We found two new restroom buildings (only the one on the south end heated and open for use) and a fish cleaning station located where the old restroom used to be. The ranger there told us that the fish cleaning station is in working condition except that it doesn't have the water turned on (freezing). So if you want to use the cleaning station, you have to bucket your own water.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]One thing we sure missed about the old restroom was that it was big and roomy with a nice bench to sit on to change into winter clothes. The new restroom(s) are small with no where to sit. We talked to the rangers and they said that they would try to find the old bench and get it back into the restroom for us.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]We launched at about 7:00 but couldn't get the motor to turn over. We were wondering if we might had just wasted a trip but then we discovered a loose (very) connection, fixed it and headed for the rock pile for some jigging.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]The water was about 57 degrees, the skies clear, and stiff breeze kept us on our toes.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]About 9:30 and after a few misses, scottieb boated our first fish of the day … one of those healthy Bear Lake cutthroats:[/size][/#800040][/font]
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3][/size][/#800040][/font]
[inline "Scottieb's-Cut.jpg"]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Then, an hour later, Bait_Caster horsed in this nice 10 lb 11 oz. togue:[/size][/#800040][/font]

[inline "BC's-mack-1.jpg"]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Those two fish were the only ones we caught all day. I was the only one to come up empty handed. So I'd have to rate the day as a slow fishing day but about par for us for this time of year.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]While tooling around the rock pile, a couple of "future" BFT members (Tim and Mark) from Idaho were asking where the rock pile was and where to get some cisco. We told them they were on the rock pile and helped them out with some cisco and a BFT sticker. And before you know it, they too scored this nice 8 lb 7 oz mack:[/size][/#800040][/font]
[inline "Mark's-mack.jpg"]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Some more guys from Idaho in this nice Weld craft were taking advantage of the breeze and were slow drifting bottom bouncers and silver flat fish … a technique I had never thought of for Bear Lake. They said that they had caught three nice macks doing that:[/size][/#800040][/font]
[inline Idaho-Weldcraft.jpg]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Bottom bouncing does seem quite logical since the macks hang tight to the bottom. I think I might bring a bottom bouncer along next time just in case there is a breeze. Might as well take advantage of the wind rather than fight it. Have any of you readers ever bottom bounced for macks at Bear Lake? I'd like to learn more about it.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]We also met WanaGoFishin up there too. I watched them boat a mack too.[/size][/#800040][/font]

[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Like I said, the fishing was a little slow but boy, it sure was a great day on the water. I learn lots every time I go. Even if it was a little slow, the good company sure made up for it. Thanks for letting me ride along scottieb.[/size][/#800040][/font]
[font "Lucida Sans Unicode"][#800040][size 3]Oh, I forgot to mention ... there was a roomer that there was a Doug Miller sighting up there too. [Wink][/size][/#800040][/font]
[signature]
[Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile][Smile]Great day wasn't it! I think that Doug M. was in that other boat. I think that fish1on missed one good fishing day.
Catch ya later.
Scottieb
[signature]
I had talked to Baitcaster the day before and I thought everyone had cancelled out??

I chose to hit the road and head back home in the morning. I did not want to take any chances in my little boat with the threat of a storm.

Glad "Scottieb" got to get a fish, did he do any superstitious dance??? LOL I would have!!
[signature]
I'm glad to see you guys got a couple. Between last year and this year it sure looks like Bait_Caster is catching more than his fair share of those big ones, way to go BC. As far as using bottom bouncers goes, all I can say is SNAG!!!! They don't call it the Rock pile for nothing, if the fish are off the side of the Rock pile(RP), it should work though. Most the fish we saw today were on the RP but we did see a fair amount in 50 to 60ft of water.
There are shower rooms on the South side of the restroom building that have seats in them, at least enough for one person in each room. WH2
[signature]
A couple of nice macs there in your post . I made my first ever trip to the BL with MGB saturday . Come up empty handed but got some good hits , but missed them all . MGB scored a pup . I will have to keep trying for a nice mac .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]How as the wind yesterday and was it raining up there? You holding out on us, bro? I don't see pics of you or Ira holding fish. I was going to go out today but til midnight last night it was raining pretty hard so I blew it off. I wish I wouldn't of though. This morning looks pretty decent. Maybe I'll haul up and try it this afternoon.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
It was windy but not any worse than you and I have been in before. The wind was 10 to 15 mph most of the day but only started raining steady around noon. We tried Gus point but the wind was blowing too hard to get a good anchor hold and we were marking few fish there. The rock pile was a little more sheltered because of the direction the wind was blowing(S/E) but it made the catching tough. The fish are stacked just like they were last year, in the same area those guys caught all those fish. We caught one pup, not worth a picture, I think the catching will improve very soon. WH2
[signature]