Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gizzard Shad
Last year a gizzard shad about 2 inches long impalled itself on one of my trebble hooks. That is the only one I have caught. Recently another fisherman told me about catching one. Curious if anyone else out there has actually caught one, and if so how were you fishing and how large was it. (Just curious, I have no intention of keeping one -- or heaven forbid transporting one to another body of water.)

Kent
[signature]
Kent, My partner also caught a small shad(one inch) last year while trolling. The only people that I have heard of that have caught bigger shad caught them bait fishing. The guy told me that it was 15in. I was surprised because I did not know they got that big. WH2
[signature]
Kent, the biggest one that I have ever seen, was tossed up on the dike by some fisherman who didnt understand the importance of that particular fish. It was a big one. About fifteen inches. I assume someone caught it bait fishing for cats and figured it was a trash fish infesting the waters. So they chucked it up on the dike for the coons to get.
Several years ago I caught a bunch along the north shore while fishing for crappie. They took micro jigs. The shad were 10 to 13 inches.
[signature]
[Smile]I accidentally foul hooked one a couple years ago while jigging for walleye. It was about a foot long. i was also surprised at how big it was.

GoFish
[signature]
Ok, I gotta ask. What does a gizzard shad look like?? About a month ago I snagged a fish in the dorsel fin. I lost it just as I got to the side of the boat. It was dark out, but the guy I was with said it looked like a smallie. I thought it looked too dark for a smallie?
[signature]
[Wink]They are not as dark as a smallie. They are silver and have distinguished scales. They do not have a real big mouth. Their bodies are thin with a deep belly. The tail is forked.

GoFish
[signature]
Yep, you were the one.

Kent
[signature]
Hey folks, it seems that the previous website I posted for gizzard shad was actually a quote from WaynesWords [url "http://www.wayneswords.com"]www.wayneswords.com[/url] He has a great site for all things Powell. If you bring up the site, and click on Gizzard Shad, he has some additional info, including pics and illustrations, for those who want to know exactly what they look like. TD

[cool]
[signature]