Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yak ity Yak.. Don' Talk Back
Hey there guys,

With the rotten weather and continious lousy weather conditions on the big salty, I've given up and cheated. Yep ... I'm cheatin' on my faithful tube and have found a faster model.

Just got a kayak (wilderness sit-in mallard) via ebay for a real song. Looks like a lot of stuff I've got on my tube will pretty easily mount on the yak.

Has anyone had trouble with thier tubes being jealous and causing trouble in the garage?

Gonna try to get away from the dirty water here Monday or Tuesday.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey rabblerouser, you tryin' to start somthin' here? Desecrating these hallowed boards with a discussion of kayaks?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, kayaks are really becoming a good alternative means of fishing inshore salt water and larger inland waters. The new technologies have made them more stable, more fisherman friendly and more affordable. It's no wonder that more and more boaters and float tubers are "hooking up" with 'yaks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you got one that is "fudd-friendly". Some of those craft are not only tough to get in and out of, they are mighty uncomfortable to sit in for long periods. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We expect to see some pics soon, of large open water game fish, huge sharks and big Smiles. But, we will settle for some good reports on halibut, bass, barries and bonito.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi there TubeDude,

No desecration intended. I'm thinking that with the longer 'legs' of the yak during the cold, dirty water months, I'll be able to cover lots of ground and ferret out some spots for the warmer months and go back to my first love and do a real number on those spot!

As far as I'm concerned .... you simply cannot fish a marina,small harbor, or sheltered bay better than with a float tube bar none. The yak will be kind of my ocean trolling machine and my tube everything else!

Although I didn't elaborate, 80 percent of the stuff I've built for my tube will work with the kayak. I'm encouraged on this as I know my effort and expense will not be wasted in future aquisitions. This should encourage others to jump in whole-heartedly into tricking out their tubes.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Go head on 'til your head hurts. Sounds like a good plan and a good addition to your fishing arsenal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We wanna see some pics when you get it tricked out.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Way to go JR. I have been looking around for some salt mobility craft as well. I saw some nice yaks that will do me fine now and also be kool when I hit the fudd stage.

It's amazing how many little tricks they have on those now. I especially like the live "Bug" well that they have.
[signature]
[Tongue][#005000][size 3]If you guys keep this up - they will have to rename this board to "Tubes, Yaks & Thingys"[/size][/#005000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No, Dryrod, no discussion of "thingys" on this wholesome and family oriented forum.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, I think it is okay to yak about 'yaks.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#005000][size 3]Hey there JR - you are yakking me around. Why would you want a kayak when you can have a yakyak.[/size][/#005000]
[#005000][size 3]My two are loaded and ready to go![Tongue][/size][/#005000]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=7023;]
[signature]
Hey JapanRon,

Welcome to the Kayak fishing Navy. There'e not many, but the Navy is growing every day. I have a Cobra Navigater sit on top. I just love my yak. I don't have a fish finder hook up yet because the wife said Santa will be bringing me a new one. I'm trying to make plan's to fish the big Salty some time this spring or summer.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't see no rod rack or sonar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Actually, those critters remind me of a couple of ladies I used to know. Only the yaks are cuter. Not quite as hairy, either.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
By the time spring rolls around, I may already have my yak and have it tricked out. You will have to keep us informed as to when you will be in the area and we can go out and do a "Yak fest"[cool]
[signature]
What type of Kayak are you planning on getting. Are you going to get it new or used. Out here in Utah there are only three fishing Kayaker's that I know of. Your Dad has been nice eoungh to let me tag along on one of his tubeing trip to Utah lake. A YAK fest would be cool.

Tincanfsh
[signature]
Hi there TubeN2,

As you've a DIY fishin' partner.. heh heh heh, you might look at a tandem model. Haunt ebay as there are sleepers there. You have a really good chance on the 'local pickup only' offers. I paid $150 for a great ride.

JapanRon
[signature]
That sounds like a good idea after seeing many of the new models starting out around 1000 bucks. I wouldn't mind getting a pair of them at that price. The tandem idea would be a little farther down the road though as I have trouble getting little tubie to sit straight in a small boat that we use sometimes at Castaic.

The tandem may be better later for "Team Bugging" as opposed to team fly flinging. That could get a little tipsy and possible force me to find a way to keep my electronics dry somehow.[laugh]
[signature]
Hey Tincanfish, I am more likely to start off with a used or "Experienced" yak before I decide to shell out over a thousand bucks for a new one. As JapanRon stated, there are some good bargains out there to be had. Whether it be on ebay or in the weekly buy, sell and trade magazines. One mans junk is another mans treasure.[cool]

I would like to get mine in time for a BFT yak, tube and toon get together wherever it can be coordinated. I am no stranger to UT waters.[Wink]
[signature]