Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
scofield 11-7
made it up to scofield...caught 4 bows 12-16"

there was ice about 1/4 thick on portions of the west side that extended out about 4-6 feet in areas...the wind kicked up around noon and started to kick up the water quite a bit...which then ate away at the little bit of ice that was there.

Oh..on the way up...a short ways after turnin off of hwy 6, i saw a very large predatory bird standing on the side of the road... over some roadkill i am guessing. This bird was over 2 feet tall...maybe close to 3 ft. It looked a lot like an eagle, but was very dark colored. Did not have the ugly head like a vulture/condor. anyone have an idea what it was??
I was thinkin young eagle...thought i read somewhere that their heads don't turn what for a couple years. dunno...it was an awesome lookin bird tho...would have stopped but it was near a curve in the road and wasn't a good place to pull over..8-(

cyas
rc
Good to hear you had a good day fishing. I would agree with Pat. The golden eagle is the largest eagle. I have seen a few of them and they are big birds.
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the report, guppyslayer. Which part of the lake were you fishing, and were you on the shore or in a tube or boat?

It's good to hear about the ice starting to form. I hope it gets cold enough to freeze with at least 4 inches of ice by T-Day weekend. We shall see I guess. Most years it does, but some years you have to wait a week after T-day or so.

And, as for the bird, I'd have to agree with the others on this thread that it was most likely a Golden Eagle. I grew up in Northern Nevada, and you see a few of them here and there, especially in the winter.
[signature]
good that you had a fun time fishing. glad to hear there was alittle ice around the edges.
[signature]
i'm a lowly shore fisherman..haven't had a boat in a few years.....many years actually..lol

i usually go in the madsen bay side.....and walk about 1/2 mile along the shoreline.....so i can get away from others and let my boxer run free. She has more fun than i do..lol

can not wait to try some 'hard water' fishin up there.

eagle it was then..wasn't sure..but have never seen a bird that big before in the wild..but it looked exactly like an eagle..except it was lacking the white crown.

cyas
rc
[cool]Is Madsen Bay that first quiet little bay that you come to on your right as you are just coming up on the lake? I always see a few ice fishermen there, during ice on, but have never fished it. I've heard lately that that end of the lake (north end) is very shallow right now.
[signature]
I concur with TD it was probably a golden eagle. There are quite few up in those mountains,
jed
[signature]
yep..it's the quiet little bay on the north end...and it's very shallow..that's why i walk around the shore quite a ways...it's very muddy too...i usually come back with mud up to my knees..but that's what a washer is for..lol

cyas

rc