Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinney Report (lost a big one)
Caught alot fish yesterday, but most were smaller (15-18 inches). Did get two Bows that were around 5 lbs each. I think they may have stocked Spinney recently? Because i saw lots of smaller fish everywhere.

Early in the day before the mud line got developed I saw a dark shape chasing smaller trout about 30 yards out. I thought it was a Pike? I put on a #9 Shallow Shap Rap and hooked it on the third cast. Actually it hooked me! It was a big brown. It took off down the dam three different times on long runs. Finally she dove down into rocks and sawed me off on one[pirate]. I was never in control, or under the illusion that I would win! Ever see a grown man cry? LOL.
[signature]
Bummer about the big brown, Neal!!! At least you had her hooked for a while. What color Shad Rap if you don't mind saying? I've never really fished Shad Raps for trout.
[signature]
Just a standard Blue/white. I like them when ever I fish from shore around rocks, because they only dive 3-4 feet deep. I actually thought this fish was a Pike, thats why I chose that crank. I have caught lots of trout and bass on the smaller size 7 Shallow Shad Rap.

I didn't have a lure tied on to my Pike rod yet. So I didn't have any kind of leader tied on. I just tied the Rap directly to the mono, because I was in a hurry. Of course, even if I had tied on a steel leader the Brown might not of bit anyway? Those big Browns are tough!
[signature]
Neal, I have a few big fish stories from the ones that got away at Spinney as well. In fact in my younger days I went overboard trying to net what I thought was a huge rainbow. I had a fish on for much longer than the normal large fish and when I got him up to the boat I was leaning over the side just a bit farther than I should have and my weight took me over. My partner sure got a kick out of it, but I never did get to weight it. Some of the longest battles I've had with trout have been the browns in Spinney.
[signature]
The minute I realized it was a brown I knew I was in trouble! Awesome power!

I saw a guy the trip before lose a smaller one, probably around 8lbs the same way. If they take off away from the rocks you have a chance? If they dive on them, your usually hosed! Once they start rubbing their head in the gravel, it is really hard to force them back up.
[signature]
Those big browns can be tough to land! My personal biggest is a 17 lb. brown in the remote gunnison gorge, on a #12 panther martin spinner. This was either last year or the year before...not sure? We got some around 10 this year but none above. On the colorado this year I got a 9.75 lb. brown as my biggest and my dad caught an 11 lb. brown 1 1/2 months ago and he still has the deep cut from where it bit him. (bit him on the web of the thumb where it connects to hand, tough spot to heal.)

I remember one trip on the colorado river in late january of this year in particular when I was on the south side at south canyon. I was bouncing a crawler and had just released a few 10" dinks, when I saw my line sway a bit. I set the hook and for 5 minutes I reeled in what felt like a super heavy log that moved a little bit. When it got about 5ft or so from the bank, the fish, a rainbow that would've broken the state record almost certainly, saw me and went on a torrentous (sp) 10 minute or so run. I finally got him back in towards the bank and he saw me again and got scared again. He serged forward and broke my 4 lb. trilene xl. This lesson taught me to switch to 6lb. original stren and to never use the weak trilene again. But of course since then no monsters even close to this one[:/]

Hope you can trick some more of them big old spinney trout!
[signature]