Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying Mealworms-icefishing
I was just going through all the websites trying to figure out who has the best deals on mealworms? I can not get any of the links to [url "http://www.rainbowmealworms.com"]www.rainbowmealworms.com[/url] to work. This is who I bought my meal worms from last year and Iwas pleased with the quality. For any of you who are new to the ice fishing game. It is well worth your while to buy mealworms from a wholesaler. It usualy costs 2.00-2.50 to buy a couple of dozen mealworms at the local convienience store. Last year I bought 3,000 for around $25.00. This year I want to buy about the same amount but I only want the large ones or the "Big Reds". Anybody know if Rainbow went out of business or are all mealworm companies about the same? I can not wait to get on the hard water.
Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
One can also get a better deal from the local pet supply store.
[signature]
Hey windriver,I to was trying to get some meal worms from rainbow but cant seem to get on the web site. But I have found another place to order them in bulk. Check out
[url "http://www.timberlinefisheries.com"]http://www.timberlinefisheries.com[/url]
Im going to order mine today. Hope this helps.

koke
[signature]
Windriver,
Does it really make a difference how big the worms are? I usually break my large ones in half, but is it better to have a large worm? For instance, how big of worm do you put on a #8 rat finkie or other small jig? I buy mine at sportsmans and usually get a veriety pack (some large some small, some dead).

Kent, Where do the pet stores keep the worms?

Thanks. BB
[signature]
I live near Bountiful, and Pet World (on Highway 89) keeps them in their cooler.
[signature]
Like you I try to match the size of the mealworm to the size of the jig, fly, or lure that I am using so that the action is balanced. I have found that for perch and kokanee, the smaller mealworms work fine. The reason I prefer the larger mealworms for trout is the amount of guts that they have.[Wink] If you watch any fresh meal worm on an aqua-view you will see that the fish are attracked to the smell, not the wiggling legs. That is why I rip the heads off. The big mealies put out a heck of a cloud of mealworm gut oil (that is a technical term)[pirate] into the water. You can even see this cloud as you drop the jig into clear water. If I do not get any bites or action within 5 minutes or so I put new bait on. That is why I order the mealies by the thousands. I really do not know if I catch more fish than those who leave the heads on, or those who sink their mealies for 1/2 hour, but I have been quite successful in the past so I keep doing what works for me.

Good Luck
Windriver
[signature]
Windriver, Thanks for the tip. I'll have to give that a try. Maybe the fresh cloud is the trick. Do you use any smelly jelly. That sometimes seems to be the key and yet other times it's not needed at all.
Thanks. BB
[signature]
[reply]
[url "http://www.timberlinefisheries.com"]http://www.timberlinefisheries.com[/url]
[/reply]

Thanks for the link!! Just ordered mine today and now I'm over anxious for ice fishing season to begin!![Smile]

F4F
[signature]
I'm curious about how you keep your mealworms fresh and alive when you buy them by the thousands. I usually get a few dozen at a time and keep them in the refrigerator, but after a few weeks they seem to start dying off on me. If I bought a large order of meal worms now, I would want to use them for the next three or four months of ice fishing. What's the secret?
[signature]
I did a little search for mealworms and there are quite a few vendors out there , but came across this info on raising them and cooking with them . So if you have any left over try this out . UMMMM !! MEALWORM COOKIES . Somebody let me know how they taste . I did try fried grasshoppers once . Taste like potato chips and not chicken .

[url "http://www.hollowtop.com/finl_html/mealworms.htm"]http://www.hollowtop.com/finl_html/mealworms.htm[/url]
[signature]
I think the secret is nothing fancy, but food and water. I keep mine in my fridge and once a month pull them out for 48 hrs. I put potato peeling in with them which is moist and a good source of food. I also store them in ground up oatmeal. 48 hrs usually gives them time to eat and replenish before I put them back to go dormant again. Leaving them out all the time and feeding them just creates beetles! [Wink]

If you do it right they will last all ice season and it ends up being a very cheap way to buy mealworms.

F4F
[signature]
I am just going to second what fishin4fun said. I got a large tupperware container and drilled holes in the lid. Then I tore up a lot of news paper. I put in 3,000 mealworms last year. Every two or three weeks I pulled them out of the fridge for 48 hours. I fed them slices of potatoe. Those suckers can eat a lot once they are awake. It is important that you remove all the left overs before you put them back in the fridge because the peelings will rot and kill the mealworms. When I took them out of the fridge I would also remove the occasional dead mealworm in order to keep them from rotting and stinking. Most of my mealworms lasted all winter long. When I went fishing I simply put a few in some mealworm containers that I had saved from the past. It is important that you insulate them with something when you take them fishing or they will freeze and not be as fresh as they could be.

Windriver
[signature]
Well! My next question was going to be, if I buy a couple of thousand now and keep them healthy all winter long, what do I do with any leftover mealworms in the spring? This Website gave me the answer. In fact, I may not even go fishing at all. I'll just stay home and cook up my mealworms into delicious gourmet dishes! Thanks!
[signature]
[cool]How about waxworms? Can you order them from the same places? I seem to have better luck with waxies than meal worms (for trout, anyway).
[signature]
Yes, just do a search on the net. Many of the vendors also sell waxies. I have never done well with waxies which just goes to show, maybe it is all luck, just depending on the day.

Windriver
[signature]
I've been keeping them for years both for fishing and for feeding my pets. I keep my meal worms in a large Rubbermaid container with a couple of inches of uncooked oatmeal in the bottom. All you have to do is keep fresh pieces of potato or carrots in there. A big thing is you can't let it get too wet in there or they will die so I usually leave the lid off. If you keep them at room temp they will pupate but the pupae are good for bait too and soon you will have a self sustaining colony after the beetles hatch and reproduce and you will never have to buy them again if you keep it up.

Wax worms are much harder to keep alive. If you have them in the fridge then you MUST make sure there is no condensation inside the container as this will kill them quickly and you'll have black shriveled lumps before long.

FM
[signature]
I know everyone wants to save money and all, but don't discount the little guys. You get lots of good information from people like HFT, it wouldn't hurt to help people like that out. If i don't save $2.00-$10.00 a year and I'm helping keep great shops around, that worth it to me just so I can call up, or go in and get some advice

Maddawg
[signature]
I agree. I usually shop at wally world, but that's because I usually need more than just fishing stuff. But I try to buy from the little guys when I can. And Wally's doesn't have boogers either.
[signature]
I agree, we should support the smaller fishing shops. They do provide valuable information and expertise. I live in Idaho now, so I try to spend as many dollars as I can at Jimmy's in Idaho Falls. They have helped me a lot through the years, but they are a fly fishing shop and do not sell ice fishing gear.

Windriver
[signature]
I just checked timber--- that is not a very good deal.
Rain--- did not come up for me. wax or meal worms at local shops are around $1.35 for 2 doz. or 250 pcs. for 7.99 prices will vary from store to store but you will not end up throwing away 2000 of your order because they go bad.
[signature]