Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brown Trout Hunt
Whats the best spot for catching some brown trout right now? Anyone having success? Where? Using what?
[signature]
Try the weber river with glo bugs,hares ears,zebra midges.
[signature]
Depends on how far you want to travel. I just got back from the Owyhee river in Oregon (about an hour from Boise) and it was fantastic. We caught and released close to a hundred fish.
Monday, I hit the provo river for a few hours and only caught two little ones.
[signature]
We cruised the highway that follows the weber, saw some awesome spots I will be hitting this fall/winter.

Any particular stretch you have had best luck?

Thanks for the input.
[signature]
the better reports are coming in from Morgan to Hennifer.
[signature]
Throw brassies and copper johns around morgan for some browns, and maybe a whitie or two. Buggers can be productive as well.
Anthony
[signature]
Rock Cliff @ Jordanelle, the browns are stacking up right now at the inlet from the Provo River
[signature]
Browns are in full blown spawn right now , so be careful where you walk . Provo River , Weber River . Anything will work , but flies work the best for me . Fish deeper water , pools below riffles for feeding fish and you will not disturb the redds . I haven't fish the spawn much in a while but it can be good if you get the right fly .
[signature]
[reply]
Browns are in full blown spawn right now , so be careful where you walk ...you will not disturb the redds . [/reply]

The browns are spawning right now. Disturbing redds is a funny subject. People only worry about redds during the spawn, but fail to think about the fry that don't emerge from the redds until spring. For those of you that "don't disturb" the redds this time of year, do you think about them in January, or February? Or are they a forgotten thing by then?

Also, if you are fishing a river like the L. Provo, where brown trout are so abundant that they are overpopulated, and stunted, wouldn't disturbing a few redds be a good thing? What about rivers where brown trout try to spawn but get no reproduction out of it (like the EF Sevier). Do you still avoid the redds?

this is always a fun subject...
[signature]
It's a long way, but the big brownies are stacked up below Starvation Dam on the Strawberry right now. All the usual methods. Not much pressure there this time of year and some huge Salmo Trutta.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Hey Tuber,

Still here. I have an interview coming up for the job in San Diego. Something about 15 pound largemouth in SD that makes my head spin. Not to mention the Big Pond and old Mexico. Nice brown pic. That section is probably as good as it's ever been. There are a couple really huge brownies taken out every year there. I'll let you and Billy (Kent) know when Pelican is walkable. Shouldn't be long. Bluegill limit goes up to 20 next year. I've been using my willow flipper at J. Hole lately. Gotta love it. Looking forward to fishing with you bro. I havn't been checking BFT as often lately. I'm too addicted to my yak fishing boards. I've also been busy with a new GF trying to reign in my addiction. She doesn't know me very well, hehehe. I've come to the decision that fishing is more like a disease than a hobby for me. FYI - If you know anybody out there looking for a really good deal on a sweet 1650 Crestliner let me know. The price will go up in the spring. Talk to you soon TD.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Sounds like a plan, I need to prove to myself that I can catch a fish out of Pelican.
[signature]