Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
waders!
I'm going to by myself some waders so i can tube during fall and spring without freezing to death so i would like some recomendations on what to look for it will be my first pair and im trying to stay under 80 dollars
[signature]
80 bucks is just about the ball park figure for the Hodgeman 3.5mm neoprenes. They may be a little more right now since they are more in demand. Stearns also makes some 3.5mm neoprenes for around 50 bucks.

The quality is very comparable and they will ware about the same. Be sure to get something just a little bigger than you would normally wear to compensate for the layers that you need to wear underneath them.

If you are a Med, buy a large. If you are a Large then get a 1X, and so on.

Good luck and please let us know how you do.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good advice from the California Kid. I will add a couple of things. I got a pair of 3.5 mm Hodgmans at Sportsmans in October. I have given them a good workout since then and have been pleased with them. I recall that the price was within your limits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I wear a XXL in most stuff. I got XXXL Stout in the neoprenes and I could still use a bit more room on top for an extra layer when the temps drop and the breezes come up. For some reason, most manufacturers of neoprene waders go for the sleek look. That's okay when you are tryin' to look good while wavin' a fairy wand on the stream, but it makes it tough to wear enough layers when you are tubin' in chilly conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I recommend 3.5 mm for a wider range of use and more trips. If you go for the 5 mm, it will be warmer during the coldest trips, but will be too warm during the early fall and late spring. Better to get the thinner (and less expensive) waders and be able to use them longer each year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I wear the lightweight waders, mostly just to keep dry, when the water is between 60 to 70 degrees. One layer of sweat pants (or other soft material) keeps me plenty warm. Once the water warms much above 70, I don't wear waders unless tubing in water known to have swimmers' itch or other pesky organisms.[/#0000ff]
[signature]