Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zercom battery
I think my Zercom 12 volt rechargable battery is shot. It will only last about an hour and a half. Does anyone know where I can get a new one. Will the Vexilar battery take the place of it?
[signature]
Sportsman's Warehouse carries 12 volt sealed lead acid batteries which will run your fishfinder just fine. I've had mine for a couple of seasons and it still holds a charge just fine. They run about $25 and if the sales person is really nice, he might throw in a charger for free.

kastmaster
[signature]
Thanks for your help. I was just down there last weekend Christmas shopping. I'm one track minded and didn't even think about it then. I appreciate your advice.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Before you spend money you don't have to, let's consider a couple of things.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]1. Have you noticed a sudden drop in performance just since it got colder? Might be a cold problem and not a capacity problem. Cold sucks the life out of batteries a lot faster. Think about keeping it in an insulated container...maybe with a hand warmer. Kent posted a series of pics on this issue recently.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]2. What size sonar are you running? The higher the wattage, the more pull on the amps and the shorter the life of the battery before you are out of business. Are you running the same unit or have you "upgraded", using the same battery?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]3. How old is the battery? They usually don't hold up to more than a couple of years of "deep cycle" treatment, for running sonars. They are not designed to be drained way down before recharging, like a good marine deep cycle battery.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As far as interchangeability, any battery that puts out 12 volts will run a 12 volt sonar. Most of the SLA batteries actually put out about 13.5 volts at full charge, but drop down as low as about 7 volts before your screen goes blank...depending on the sonar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What size is the battery you have been using, in terms of "amp/hours". If it is rated for 6 or under, buy a larger a/h battery. Cabelas sells one that is 7.5 a/h and I know you can buy larger ones at specialty battery shops and Radio Shack. Not sure what size the ones sold with Vexilar might be. But, again, if they are 12 volt, they will power any 12 volt sonar.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
big big hint on battery's everyone Hensley battery they are by sportsman warehouse you can get many battery's there plus you can get a great deal from them also. they are the experts by the way hint hint thats all they do...
[signature]
I've had my little 12 volt battery from Sportsmans for going on the 5th winter.I just had it up and it is still doing great. I charge it a couple of times a season when I'm not using it and charge it as soon as I get back from a trip. It's been a great one.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, Mike. I might be in the market for a bigger battery for my sonar, for on the ice.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm guessing that you are probably not going to be doing any tubing now until spring. Let me know when you are ready to go shopping. There might be some good deals after Christmas.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
yeah pat i have to wait till after christmas to buy anything of real cost over 20 bucks the boss says so but i due still would love to hook up with you to make some jig heads i am building up stuff for powell in the spring [cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Mike, we can get together anytime. If you would like, we can do another get-together down at the warehouse, and just pour the heck out of the heads. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been working pretty much nonstop the last month or so to put together a bunch of jigs, spoons and spinners. Some for ice fishing, but a lot for early open water too. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course, you are welcome to come over and look through my newly organized collection of heads and plastics. Let me know what kind of stuff you want to throw and we can get it going.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Be sure to take care of Mrs. Claus this Christmas so she loosens the restrictions on the tackle budget.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's a lot of good advice. I think its probably just dying of old age. I've used it for two years. You obviously know a lot more about these things than I do. The fish finder just says zercom marine color point. It has a range from 20 to 160 and a gain from 0 to 10. I've apparently lost the paperwork that goes with it. The battery is a zercom rechargeable 12 volt DC 7.0 AH. There is a Radio Shack up here and I will go check with them. It might save me a trip to the city. I've had one problem with this unit and it might sound crazy. (But I have witnesses) Sometimes the circle of lights start going nuts. It lights up all the way around and I can't adjust it down. This is the crazy part. I can control it by standing in a certain spot. I have to move around a little to find the spot. This seems to happen just after the sun starts to hit the face of the finder. But where I stand and whether or not I'm touching the unit makes a definate difference for a few minutes. Then it gets so bad I just turn it off. It probably have something to do with the battery getting weak but it is very strange. Maybe a new battery will solve all of my problems (at least with the fish finder). I really appreciate all your advice. The way the weather shaping up I'll soon find out. Thanks again.
[signature]