Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anchovies at Scofield--Dec 1 report
This morning I drove up to Huntington Reservoir with the Champ (my wife). We got there shortly after 7:00 a.m., and the temperature was zero degrees. Unfortunately, the fishing was also pretty cold. I got a couple of strikes on a homemade perch kastmaster tipped with sucker meat, and the Champ got a few nibbles on a light yellow tube jig tipped with a meal worm, but we couldn't hook any tiger trout. The finder didn't show any fish at all. At Huntington, the only other person in the whole valley was a BFT brother, FlashyFish2. He fished near us (by the dam) at first and then moved over to the west and then to the south. He didn't seem to have any more luck than we did. About all he found was more slush. There seems to be a layer of slush between the snow and the ice. That made walking a bit difficult. FlashyFish2 did tell us about someone's report of good ice and fishing success at Scofield, so we headed on down there.

We arrived at Scofield about 11:00, and the weather had warmed up to a balmy 20 degrees. The whole lake looked to be covered with ice, although a few spots out by the island seemed wet. Maybe it was just new ice. Most of the rest of the ice had a light covering of snow. We fished in the neck of water leading to the dam. The ice there was solid, about five or six inches. Too bad the fish weren't much bigger than that. We drilled holes about five yards apart running from near the shore out to the middle of the channel. Near the shore, the finder didn't show any fish, and we didn't get any bites. Out near the middle of the channel, however, the finder started beeping wildly. I was afraid something had gone wrong with it until I put my line down and started catching fish left and right. We never had to wait more than a few minutes for a nibble, and it sure was fun to finally experience some action. We caught fish on rat finkys (glow green) and tube jigs (yellow, glow, and white) tipped with either a meal worm or a piece of nightcrawler. The only bad thing was that all the fish were only eight or ten inches long. They were fat, but they weren't much bigger than overgrown anchovies. I've never seen so many small fish at Scofield. We couldn't keep them off our hooks, and we kept thinking that we would catch a big one once in a while, but that never happened. We finally left about 1:00. They were still biting at that time.

Anyway, the good news is that the ice on Scofield is solid and thick enough for most purposes. (I don't think I'd take a snowmobile or ATV out on it yet.) The bad news is that we didn't find any big fish there. If you have a different experience at Scofield, I'd like to hear about where you went, what time you went, or what you used. If you are taking little kids ice fishing and want lots of action and don't care about the size of the fish, try the neck of water near the dam. You'll probably see our tracks and holes there.

P.S. There were a couple of guys fishing about 50 yards off the shore on the southeast side of Scofield. The place where you can drive down from the highway. It's almost directly east of the island. I don't know what success they were having, but at least they didn't fall through the ice. It must have been solid there also.
[signature]
[cool]Hey Lynnie, thanks for the report. Somebody else today added a report of Scofield to dogonfishin's report, and they were fishing in that little channel by the dam. It seems that the dwr just stocked that area about a month ago, so that is why you were catching a million tiny fish. If you go back and read fuzzyfisher and coldfooters reports, you'll see that they got into some nice fish. They were out towards the main channel a little further out than you. It sounds like all the little ones are congragated in that little arm by the dam, so I think I'm going out into the main lake a little more this saturday. Good luck next time.
[signature]
I seen you two comeing up the hill on my way to Cleveland.. was going to stop andd see if you were doing any good.. but i was in a hury to start my own addventure..

well good to hear you got into some fish any way..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
Hey Lynnie, Flashyfish2 here. You did a lot better than I did. I marked a few fish on the finder further south along the dam. But they'd only follow the bait up and then only mouth it and they left it. I think it was past feeding time or they had been caught before. Anyway it was such a beautiful day. The fishing was good just the catchin' wasn't. Oh your better half left her bucket up in the parking lot. I thought you might drop by on the way home. It was good to meet a Big fish tackle poster. The first I've met. Maybe I'll see you on the water.
[signature]
That surprises me because Ron and I ran into some pretty fair sized Bows while Ice fishing Scofield Monday. I dont believe we seen one fish under 13 or 14 inches.
[signature]
Well, anchovies are better than no fish at all. They were sure fun to catch. The Champ was using two jigs on her line, and twice she got a double! After we finished at Scofield, we drove back up to Huntington and picked up the forgotten bucket. That extra trip made the day longer, but it was a pleasant drive. The weather and scenery could not have been better. It was nice to meet a fellow BFT member also. I've got to get me a cap or something with the BFT logo on it so people can identify me.
[signature]