Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing with two jigs
I was looking at some old posts and IFG once said he used a whata cricket and then tied a "blook knot dropper loop" 12" below and put a rat finkie on. I found a picture of a blood knot dropper loop but couldn't see how to use it in the way IFG said.

What are some of the rigs and knots you guys use when fishing with two jigs ice fishing. Thanks, and thanks for the tips yesterday on the fishing line!
[signature]
I've never used the blood knot dropper, but you can also use a trilene knot, just leave the tail end long and tie your second jig to it. Or you can really be lazy and tie onto the eye or even the hook of your upper jig. This is quick and dirty, but not as effective as the T knot up above.

I've also seen some kind of wire contraption that you tie on to hold your jigs appart...I think kentofnsl had one, but I'm not positive. Not sure how they work though.
[signature]
I use the palomar knot on the first jig and leave a tag end of 8"- 18" to attach the other jig.
[signature]
I think the Palomar knot idea Brian made is a good one. Or, you can do what I do when catfishing -- and that is put on a 2-way swivel to your line first (T-Swivel) and then tie a dropper line onto each side. You can make them different lengths so that you are fishing at two different depths, for example make one 18 inches and the other 30 inches long.

It would look something like this:

[inline Tswivel.JPG]
[signature]
[size 1]"I've also seen some kind of wire contraption that you tie on to hold your jigs appart...I think kentofnsl had one, but I'm not positive."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Yep, you saw me fish with one at Strawberry. Allowed me to be twice as frustrated when I didn't catch any fish! I can't remember where I purchased them (perhaps WalMart of even Kmart), but I need to replace the leader on them with something lighter. They came with leader that is at least 12 pound test.[/size]
[signature]
when i first started to fish hard water i tried two lures and lost a big brown at the hole he hit the bottom jig and the top jig hooked the ice when i brought him up then he snapped the line between jigs. i lerned right then a big lesson. 7 or 8 pound lesson... crossineye
[signature]
I like the polymer knot idea because that is an easy knot that I know how to tie. So now the question is: suppose I'm using a whata cricket and a rat finkie, which one goes on top and which goes on bottom?
[signature]
I have experimented with different knots and set-ups for double jigging and right now like putting on the top jig on a tiny snap swivel, putting on a desired length of leader to the swivel and tying the bottom jig to it. i seem to get less tangles this way and the fish still seem to hit the top lure even with the swivel on it. I will usually put on a split shot on the leader (in the middle)to insure a quick drop on the bottom lure and less tangles.

I usually put on the bigger, flashier lure on the top and the rat finkie on the bottom. When fishing for perch almost 100% of your fish will be caught on the bottom lure if you have the set-up suspended just off the bottom, but the "flasher" on the top seems to bring fish in, and it will elicit bites from the (usually) larger trout as well that are not hugging the bottom like perch do. It also seems to me that (generally) supsended fish also hit the bottom jig more than the top one. That said, conditions vary every time out and half the fun of it is figuring out what they want.
[signature]
I almost always put the lighter jig up higher on the line to prevent them from tangling.

All of the posts on this thread have some good information. Having two jigs on the same line does have some diSadvantages like mentioned earlier it can cost you a big fish or you can waste time trying to get it ready or untangled. I only use two or more jigs on the same line when I think it will help me catch more fish. If I think I know what the fish want then I will just use the one jig.

The wire contraption threekillerbee is talking about is called a crappie rig but I'm sure it has many other names.
[signature]
[black]Drop shot you silly heathens. It's easier than any rig you guys mentioned, plus you have stronger knots and better line strength. Ice fly on top and favorite jig on bottom.[/black]
[signature]