Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade Ice Shelter Pictures
Here are some pictures of the shelter I threw together. Not pretty, but it works. Some 3/4" PVC and a tarp, stuck together with duct tape. Take along a roll of tape for repairs, taping the door flaps open or closed, etc. Tie the thing down so it doesn't blow away - there's almost no weight to it! Mine is 5 X 5 X 5. The two PVC squares are glued and the 4 poles just slip together. I can transport it easily in my Ram shortbed, but you could leave all the poles unglued for easier transportation if you don't have a pickup. Probably color code the ends for fast setup. Home Depot didn't have the right PVC corner pieces so I improvised with the screw joints in the picture, still works the same. Hey, it works and it's CHEAP. And light. I use a Coleman gas lantern for heat and light. The heat will melt the snow and leave you sitting in a puddle, so take something to keep your feet off the ice and some lawn chairs and you're ready to fish warm and out of the cold breeze.
[signature]
pictures never made it
[signature]
Hey that looks great, and as long as it keeps you dry and out of the rain, who cares how much it costs.

I have an idea for you lantern problem, you could use some heavier cord to bundle it all up, the when you get it on the ice you could string the cord between 2 of the poles at the top, then if you have a hook of some sorts you could hang the lanten by the cord, the only problem i can see is that if you go to stand you would have to watch out to not hit your head on the lantern or get caught on the cord.
[signature]
nice looking shack. any plans for an anchoring system
jed
[signature]
[size 3][black][font "Times New Roman"]A word of warning “Tie it down in the wind”. My popup tent work great until it is really windy then it becomes a kite. To help keep it in place you may want to put the tarp under the bottom about 12 to 18 inches and sit your chair on it. This will keep a breeze from blowing it around. I’ve had to use my ATV as a anchor to keep mine from going air born.[/font]
[/black][/size]
[signature]
Hey that looks like a handy light weight unit. How well do your duct tape seams hold in W?

FW: thats very good advice.
Nothing can spoil a day on the hard deck like watching your shelter air freight your fishing equipment across the pond, (and in the opposite direction than you've parked).. IT may seem like over kill but I tend to build my shelters FG proof and always anchor them to the ice or a machine.
[signature]
Look great. If I see it out on the ice I'll have to stop by and check the water.
Cabelas has some anchors in their ice fishing section that look like they wouldn't be hard to duplicate for next to nothing. They fit down inside an auger hole that hasn't been punched all the way through. I'm sure Home Depot has something that could be used as an anchor as well.
[signature]
Just a Note - I have used the plastic tie-downs to hold the tarp to the PVC and then just cut them when your ready to head in.

As previously stated - "Watch the Wind" because and it will turn your icehut into a tumbleweed before you know it.

Good fishing and I hope to see your outfit on the hardwater.
[signature]
Saw an older gentleman anchor his homemade shelter to the ice with bolts. He pulled out his screw gun, put a bit in it and drilled several holds. Took the bit out and put a socket in. Got his bolts out and screwed them into his holes. Worked great and took less than a minute. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing this. I have been looking for some ideas and these look great.
[signature]
TRIED THIS EXACT SYSTEM IT WOORKED GREAT, WHEN THE WIND WAS NOT BLOWING. UP AT STRAWBERRY A HUGE GUST HIT TWO OF US WE BOTH GRABBED A HAND FULL AND STARTED WIND SURFING ON OUR ASSES ACROSSED THE LAKE LET GO AFTER ABOUT 60 YRDS OR SO WHEN WE STARTED GAING SPEED. YOU MIGHT TRY BUILDING A BOTTOM TO ANCOR THE HUT TO. POSSABLY THE TOP OF A TRUCK SHELL. SAW ONE ANOTHER CREATIVE GUY MADE, IT WAS WAY COOL. THANX FOR SHARING THOSE PICS WITH US, IT BROUGHT BACK A KILLER MEMORY, OYA AND A SMILE CROSSINEYE
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Best wind anchor I've found for an ice hut is a snowmobile![/size][/black][/font][Tongue]
[signature]
Duct tape seems to freeze up and not work well in the cold. You will find that out when it is cold. Velcro would be a better idea. As mentioned, put a plywood bottom on it or a partial bottom. Drill an extra hole and jamb your bucket into the hole. Works like a deadman and will hold you in place. I had to use that system up at the gorge a couple of years ago and also at fish lake. The wind came up and blew the tent over with two people in it. That tent had a bottom in it as well. My bucket anchor kept me held fast to the ice. You may want to put some electrical conduit (metal) inside the bottom pvc pipes to give it added strength as pvc gets real brittle when it gets cold and it wouldn't take much to snap it. Nice tent and good job assembling it. Looks as good as a store bought shanty.
[signature]