Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield report 12/5
I got out of the house this morning two hours after I had intended, I still haven't quite gotten used to family life. I guess it was for the best that my fishing partner backed out on me. Finally got to Scofield about 10:00 AM. I followed Out4trouts sugestion on location (east side of lake). I walked past Ironworker on my way out and stopped and introduced myself as a fellow BFTer. He said the fishing had been slow, they had been there since 7:30 and only had two fish on the ice. He did tell me that one fish hit his jig so hard that it broke the eyelet off. I wondered out another 100 yards or so and found a spot in 14 feet of water. Fifteen minutes later I had two fish on the ice and sent a third back to be caught another day. Things cooled off after that for a half an hour or so, then bam I bring up a bow with something hanging out of its mouth. On further inspection I realize it is a white "whatacricket" on a white jig head that is missing the eyelet. I removed the new jig and sent the fish back, took the jig over to Ironworker and we had a good laugh about the coincidence of both of us getting a piece of the same fish. Pink ratfinks worked like a champ until noon when the sun went behind the clouds and the W picked up. I could still see fish come in on the sonar, but they would either pass by or give my jig just the tiniest of inspection taps. I changed to a chartruese whatacricket and with a little more active jigging presentation started getting fish to hook up again. I fished until 2:00 and totaled 16 fish in all. All were between 12 and 14 inches except one small one. Fishing was streaky all day. I would get 3 or 4 in a fifteen minute stretch and then the whole would go cold for 30 to 45 minutes, then bang, bang, bang again.
[signature]
Good looking fish, but you are 10 days early for catching and submitting fish for the ice challenge.
[signature]
Great report Fairwayphilly and nice fish pictures. Catching the fish that took Ironworkers jigg is funny.

Glad to see you are ready for the MGB IceFishing Challenge. Don't forget you have to have a photo of yourself in the picture or you have to be in the photo.

Good luck in the contest.
[signature]
hey i was up at Scofield today as well.. and must say the fishing was alot slower today than the past 2 time i was out there..

did not take the snowmobile today but wish i had.. the only way we could get any consistent fish on the ice today was to move and move alot.. stop at one hole and catch 1 or 2 fish then move to another.. but even then it was slower today!! i cought around 20 fish 2 were about 18" but most were in 13" to 15" size.. my buddy cought around 20 as well but he did take home a nice cutt at 21" and 3 of the 13 to 15 size fish as well..
he was useing a white twist tail tipped with power bait yuck[mad]

i was useing a green whatta cricket tipped with minnows and or crawdad meat..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
My report is just about the same as yours , so here it is . I did best with pink rat finkees and also chartreuse whatta crickets . I also tried some dead minnows but most fish were 13 to 15 " caught . I did hook one bigger , 19" cutbow . I believe most of the fish I caught to day to be cutbows . Believe it or not . Most had the red slash and teeth on the Tongue . Nail about 20+ fish and fished 11' of water on the east side . I to did not get there when I wanted , but better late then never . Only caught one dink , so not to bad for a day . Good fighters . I still have never caught a cutt from there . Someday .
[signature]
it was nice meeting you fairwayphilly. and retreiving the crickett was to crazy.
[signature]
Sorry, I thought the challenge started as soon as the ice did. Not too big of a loss, I'm pretty sure that won't be the only rainbow I catch through the ice; hopefully not the biggest either.
[signature]