Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
River Fishing Qestion?
I bait fished (or at least tried to fish) the lower weber last monday and I haven't been fishing in a river much lately except dryfly fishin But anyway I had severe difficulty telling the difference between a bite and the bottom, rocks, sticks, weeds, etc. Was I doing something wrong or what ? I remember having a little difficulty when I was younger but at least I was able to catch fish. Do I just need to keep trying until I know or is there a trick or what? Thanks[Smile]
[signature]
Thats a tough one to describe with words but you'll know you did something right when you catch a fish[Tongue]

When I fish bait in rivers especially in winter or early spring the fish tend to be lighter biters. I use an ultralight rod 7' long. I fish in pools to moderately fast water, not white water. I put on as little weight as I can get away with to get to bottom. As with flies, I want a drag free drift and I've got to put it in the feeding lane. I hold my rod tip high as the bait swings past me down stream letting the sinkers tic bottom. When the sinker hangs up ,even slightly, I lift gently to see if it's a fish holding on then immediately set the hook if I feel any extra movement (the light rod tip is critical so the fish doesn't feel too much pressure). If I don't any movement, I still keep the line tight for a few seconds while I try and get it undone because sometimes its a fish just holding on. Fast water and snaggy bottoms are tough to deal with and just takes practice. In pools it's a little easier with a little less water movement.
[signature]
My experience in the winter is, the colder the water the softer they bite, the longer you have to wait for a bite, the slower the presentation. And in alot of cases the catch rate is much slower with a few exceptions. And you may wan't to try some smaller offerings. Smaller piece of night crawler, wax worms,meal worms etc. good luck and good fishing!
[signature]
Thanks guys[Smile] I thought long and hard about it and I think that i probably had a little too much weight and my hole selection was limited due to a lot of ice on the river. I also had a not so sensitive rod my bro is letting me use till I get a new one (My rod snaped in the summer). Now I think I'll get a longer, more sensitive rod.
[signature]
personal experience is, its not the rod but the attention to the line. in cold water trout especially browns dont slam bait. they stop it and you have to set fast. try getting high vis line that will change the entire world. bait fishing with a natural drift is like a art and a style im use to as jig fishing. its not that someone is doing anything wrong. its what to look for and knowing instead of thinking you have a bite. its all about feel and understanding the line slack. i know wording it like this just doesnt help much but..... quick fix, go get high vis line and put a clear leader on it. youll see the bites evne if they are super soft.
[signature]