Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anywhere else besides IP Res?
I'll be visiting the fam in Idahofalls for the holidays and was hoping to get a good ice fishing trip in. From the reports that I've read, IP has been a little slow. Is there anywhere else that is fishing good through the ice? Possibly Mackay res., Ririe res., PaliSades, or Mudlake?
[signature]
I know someone that has done real well at IP. I have not heard of anything about Ririe. Not sure it even has ice as no one has talked about it at all. I will do some checking for you. Stay in touch we will see what we can find out.
tybugs
[signature]
You probably will catch less than 1 fish per hour at IP res but a big fish or two might make it worth your time. I haven't heard any reports for Mackey but I know there are a good number of planter rainbows in there but I don't know how the kokanee fishing is. I haven't heard any reports from mud lake but like mentioned earlier there was a winter kill there. This might help the average size of perch though. I'm surprised to hear that Ririe isn't frozen. I was going to fish there yesterday morning but as usual I'm more talk than action and ended up not getting out. Other options would be Roberts Gravel Pond or Rexburg city pond. Yesterday when I crossed the bridge there looked like there was enough ice on Gem Lake (small res on snake just downstream of Idaho Falls) but I would be extremely cautious about the ice. Whatever you decide to do good luck.
[signature]
Let me rephrase what BrianID just said about Island Park. "You will catch less than a fish an hour at IP." We just got back from getting whooped by IP. There were four of us in our group. 0 fish. I do not know how the others ended up but no one had caught a fish when we left at 11:30. BSflies was still up there maybe he got into them after we left I do not know.

I would go to Roberts for perch or maybe the nature pond for stocker trout.

Windriver
[signature]
Windriver,

I hope I wasn't talking up IP reservoir too much by my "less than 1 fish per hour comment" [Wink]. Less than one fish per hour is just my own way of determining what is slow fishing. My group didn't even come close to catching one fish per hour last time we fished IP reservoir.
[signature]