Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A request!
I'd like to request that no one cover their ice fishing holes with snow when leaving the ponds. I found in the pass that a small children can step into even a 6" hole (not realizing its there) and drop clean to their crotch. Its spoils a family outting in a heart beat.
Those of us who cut the maximum hole sizes allowed have to be extra carefull. A child and even a small sized adult could pass straight through an 18" fishing hole if not seen. Remember, ice is slick and water makes it even slicker. So please dont cover your old ice fishing holes with snow before moving or leaving the ice.

Whats more, I've found that most of those that cover their ice holes with snow do so with the intent to hide the trash they've stuff in the hole before leaving.

If you haul it out,, haul it back!
[signature]
that sounds like a reasonable request.

every one knows that when I am done with a hot hole it aint hot any more [Tongue]

sides of which I fish the same hole every day so I just a soon keep the hole open anyway. less digging....
[signature]
That is a good request, on the outdoor survival board I posted a story that stated in some states you need to mark your drilled holes so people do not step in them.

Why would people stuff their garbage down the hole and then cover it up? Not very good caretakers of our fishing holes I would guess.
[signature]
Don, excellent request and safety point. The less frozen legs, the better.
[signature]
That's an awesome request! Last year we weren't sure what to do with our holes, so the wife and kids covered them with snow, thinking it would help to refreeze them faster. I didn't see a need to argue with them at the time.

Our last ice fishing trip last spring, it was just me and the kids. We'd finished fishing for the day, and were cleaning up. I was walking around picking stuff up and making sure everything was together, when I stepped in one of our own holes. I scraped my shin like you wouldn't believe, and I actually though that my leg was broken, as much as it hurt. It hurt for weeks afterward.

This year we won't be covering any ice holes. I'd rather see them and avoid them.

Good call coldfooter.
[signature]
a man could go one better.

take the snow and ice used from drilling your hole and make a mound to signify there is a hole there.

when I drill my holes I leave the snow all the way around the hole except the side I am pulling the fish out of. I pick up that wet snow and ice and lay it on top of the other snow and ice to make a more permanant structrue around the hole.

this works for me best because I sit out on the open ice, the extra wind break is welcome.
[signature]