Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cliff Lake
Anyone out there ever fish Cliff Lake (Montana) through the ice?
[signature]
Is it near Wade Lake? In the South West corner of Montana?

if it is.. I've never fished it.. I fished wade instead. I was told that Wade lake had larger but fewer fish (and VERY clear water which made the fish spooky). The other lake (Cliff I think) had more fish but where "smaller."

I drove to the lake.. I saw fish but didn't have time to fish it.

If this isn't the lake you were inquiring about.. then.. nevermind. Smile
[signature]
I have never ice fished it but I have fished it in Aug. a couple of different years. Cliff does have a lot of fish in it but they are well fed. This last summer the only fish we caught were on crawdads. I hear worm are a good choice as well. I think Cliff Lake only has bows in it where as Wade has browns as well as bows. I'm sure bsflies has fished it in thru the ice and he will respond to this post with more info. So stay tuned.
[signature]
I've fished Cliff in the summer and fall but never on the ice. There are alot of fish in the lake and I have caught a few nice ones in the past. Appreciate the information.
[signature]
I did not see this post until in was brought to my attention. I have ice fished both Cliff and Wade Lakes in Montana. Cliff does have more and smaller fish that Wade, but it is a blast. I like to fish Cliff Lake where one of the streams run in, the Antelope Arm just above the drop-off is my favorite. Then the upper end is also good off the rocks where an underwater spring runs in.

My favorite time to fish Cliff is just at ice-out or for the first week after ice-out. 30 or 40 rainbows are not uncommon during this time. Due to teaching school and wrestling, I do not fish it as much as I would like.

Hope this helps - Bill
[signature]