Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How thick to be safe?
How this is too thin? I've read that 2" will support one person and 3" will support a group in single file. Personally, I like to have a solid 4" to feel comfortable. I'd like to hear the opinions of the ice pros.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]There are a ton of sites out there that give you the info you are looking for. Here is one from the Army Corps of Engineers:[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [center][url "http://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/ice/ice_load.html"][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ice Thickness and Strength[/size][/black][/font][/url][/center]
[signature]
Great website. Thanks for the good info

Maddawg
[signature]
I haven't gone to the site that was posted yet (but thanks for the post). However, it depends a lot on the ice conditions, the lake conditions, etc. For example, the ice that freezes in a hole that you drilled is MUCH harder and stronger than the normal ice on the lake.

If I'm not mistaken, I think the larger lakes need a little thicker ice too.....but I may be way off base there.

Also, if there is a freeze, then a partial thaw, then a freeze again, or if there are air or snow pockets in the ice, it could weaken the ice.

I prefer to wait for about 6" on a larger lake just to be safe. It just isn't worth the risk to chance it on thinner ice. Yeah, you might have a good day fishing the early freeze, but you also might come crashing through and, at a bare minimum lose your gear and have instant hypothermia...and possibly lose a toe or two to frostbite...that is if you are lucky enough to get back out of the water with your waterlogged winter clothes on dragging you down.
[signature]