Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd times a charm at Causey!!!!
Hit Causey yet again today. Went after the Kokes and finally landed two. I used some tips from HFT and Fish-dog (thanks guys) and scored on both setups. We caught both fish in about 3 minutes. I kept fishing the same setup the rest of the day and only caught splake and 1 rainbow on that. I mostly fished in the 15-20' range. Some of the guys in our group caught fish right on the bottom. We landed about 35 splake, 1 rainbow and 2 kokes. Hey Curt, It was nice talking to you again. We caught those kokes about 10 minutes after you guys left.

Now that I have the causey and Kokanee skunks gone I'm going full bore for that elusive Lake Tout. (as soon as it ices.)
[signature]
Congrats on finally gettting those little guys. They are might tasty. Hopefully in a couple years, they'll be back on the upswing and will be much more abundant! Good luck on your next trip out.
[signature]
Well done! Guess it's time to add Causey to my list of todo's.
[signature]
That figures, we only caught three more splake before we left. The catching must have really picked up after we left, how much longer did you guys stay after you caught the kokes? It was good talking to you also and way to go on the kokes.
[signature]
How thick is the ice at causey? What condition is it in? I drove up to echo today and there was three inches of slush on top of three inches of gray ice. There were 5 ice shelters out in the middle only 100 yards from open water. I know the ice was holding them, but the pucker factor outweighed my desire to ice some perch in a 20 mph wind. After reading posts about crappy ice at mantua I really don't want to make another drive unless I know the ice is good.
[signature]
Its been fun, I've been up there a few times. Great time had by all, Causey is the place to be right now....
[signature]
Curt, we stayed in the same spot until 3:30. The fishing was spotty though. When a school came by we would get a bunch then it would be dead for a half hour or so.

Fairway, the ice condition is ok. It was a little slushy on top but not as bad as I was expecting. The thinnest ice I measured was 7 1/2 inches. Its not going anywhere for a while. It looks like it is soft on the edges but I tried to kick through at the bank and could'nt do it. It is plenty safe, but look out for old holes. The holes are not refreezing very well. If you have kids watch where they are walking, my son almost stepped in a couple. Alot of people have kicked slush back in their hole and it makes it really hard to see them. I sure wish they would'nt do that, just leave them open so others can avoid them.
[signature]
Good report Elko! We're going back tomorrow.
[signature]