Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 12-30-04
Well... after much deliberation with my father in law, finally decided to chance the weather and head up for afternoon/evening to go fishing. Roads weren't too bad going in or out. I think we hit in front of the storm just right.

Went to Mud Creek about 3/4 out in the bay, 25 ft of water. Hit the ice about 3 p.m. left at 7 p.m. Fishing overall was pretty good. Fish were hitting hard and fast at the beginning. My father in law landed one and missed another before I even made it in the water. Right before dark fishing was very good. About 6 p.m. it shut down (why we left at 7 p.m.). Overall we landed about 15 fish in 4 hrs and lost a handful and had a handful of other bites. The fish were very interesting tonight. They either slammed it or just sat and looked at it! Lots of fish on the finder wouldn't bite anything.

We had on a variety of jigs from boogers, foxies, rat finkies, to Cabela's red/white maribou jigs (I like em'... I like em' alot!) and all caught fish. Did seem to like the minnows tonight over the mealies, but still caught some on mealies.

I did have one fun thing happen tonight. I pulled my line up, put on a new minnow and put it down the hole just to look at how it looked (dunno why.. but seem to do it with all new bait.. make sure it looks good or something.. [Tongue]) Anyway, as I pulled it back up out of the water, I noticed a fish swim by. I put it back down the hole (let out zero line), he swung around and hammered it. I lifted him out of the hole into the hut, no reeling. Really cracked me up. We found alot of fish actually a couple of feet under the ice, the rest of the bottom.

Alot of new snow is on top of the ice, so walking has become a pain at Mud Creek. Not the horrible slush, powder conditions, but bucking some good snow now walking out. I'm sure this weekend will only make it worse.

I talked to born2fish on the phone and they hit the Marina for a few hours. Sounds like they did pretty good as well and left right before dark. Good to meet you too born2fish.. even if it was just on the cell phone! [cool]

F4F
[signature]
Your fishing trip took alot of planning. You went from wanting to at 2:00am but didn't make it untill 3:00pm too bad we did'nt touch bases sooner and I would of went up with you. At least you got into the fish when you finally made it up there.

Had the same thing happen to me last weekend,after reeling up from the bottom a cutt swam by and pumped my transducer 3 times so I put my jigg back in the hole and pulled him out with zero line out.
[signature]
Had the fish right under the hole happen three times last friday when I was fishing with Kent. Withen five feet of the hole I would see fish swim thru on the way up or down. Missed a few others that did'nt come back. The best one though was when i was letting down and I saw a fish torpedo thru Kents hole. So I stopped lowering my bait set the bail, fish on.

John
[signature]
Thanks for the report. I am a new member and the information is great to have before a trip.
[signature]
Alittle late posting this. But working two jobs doesn't give me time to reply after every fishing trip.
Anyway, made it up Strawberry on the day after Christmas. Fished Chicken Creek East. It was nice to park 20 feet from the ice and drag my sled out about 200 yards and start fising. Unlike Lost CREEK and CAUSEY. I was fishing in about 28 feet of water. Most of the fish were about in 19-26 feet of water. I only hooked 4 fish.
Got about a dozen strikes. I did catch a 16 inch cut. I hooked one that I almost got out of the hole, but it snapped my line. It was a big one. I hooked another one but it got off after afew seconds of fighting. I was able to keep one. It was a 22 and a half inch cut.
All the fish were caught wih a booger and waxie worm.
[signature]