Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican Lake - 12/31/04
Well I finally made the trek out to Pelican today. The fishing wasn't super hot for me, but I managed to pick up about 30 bluegill and 6 largemouth. A group not too far from me seemed to be picking up quite a few and said that they were all over the fish finder. I caught most of them on a small orange ice fly, some on a green ice fly, and some on a green paddle bug. All tipped with half a mealworm of course.

Man those bluegill are hard to hook. They seemed to be hitting very light and i caught only a small fraction of the hits that I got. At times it was a bit frustrating. One of the bluegill I landed was a whopping 10 1/2"! I didn't have a camera with me so I took a few pics when I got home.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, those gills at Pelican sure have some shoulders on them. That big one must have gone over 1 pound, how was the weather over there? WH2
[signature]
Weather wasn't bad at all. About 30 degrees and not a lot of wind.
[signature]
[Smile]hey archerben55 thanks for the great report and that sure is a huge blue gill that you caught and all the rest are some great fish to. i was just wondering if you could tell me what the ice conditions on pelican lake were when you where there (how thick is the ice) can a person take any ice shack out there or is the ice to thin yet. any information would be great as i would like to get down there and catch some bass and bluegills through the ice as i have'nt ever ice fished pelican lake, it has always been out of the boat and we sure have had alot of great days fishing there.

thanks and good luck fishing
trfishin
[signature]
Getting onto the ice was a little sketchy. You had to walk the plank to get onto it. But once on, it was a solid 6". I was fishing in my shack and saw 2 other shacks as well.
[signature]
Nice report AB. Gotta love Pelican. FYI, the limit for gills went up to twenty the day after you were there. How was the grub infestation in your fillets?

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]
Yeah it was a fairly hot none stop bite out there Friday. We fished the north side across from the boat ramp and that plank and 2"X4"'s brought along by the Co. couple (with the Trap shanty) came in handy.
[signature]
Yeah, I know the limit went up the next day. I was a little dissapointed about that, but I'm used to getting my white meat fillets from little perch, so I still got quite a bit of meat for 10 fish. I had never tried bass before so I kept 2 of them also. They were pretty good. I only found 2 grubs in one of the bass that I kept. I didn't find any in the bluegills.
[signature]
[Smile]thanks for the report archerben55 i really apreciate the info. on pelican lake i am hoping to get down there fishing soon.

thanks trfishin
[signature]