Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heaven Report 1-1-05
[#385000]My little fishing buddy and myself were the first ones to do brodies in 2005 at the Strawberry Marina parking lot,cool huh!

It didn't get any better than that. I forgot my digicamera(which was a good thing). We trail blazed thru 3 Fn feet of snow and slush(I need to lighten my sled). I went thru the ice up to my hip(not a problem). And, we only caught 4 fish![blush]

Stepping in someone's 10" hole up to my hip was interesting. We stayed another six hours just in case there were fish in this pond. Luckily, I put on my water resistant bibs at the truck. Soaked one leg real good and my brand new Rangerboat jacket. Off they went on to my tent, I quickley put on fleece hoodie and my coveralls. A little while later I felt a small trickle of water in my boot. Oh well, just a wet sock. At least my camera stayed home and was dry. Good thing I bring a half-dozen pair of gloves too, we went thru four pairs.

Nuthin' speical about the lack of fish, too many people!
[/#385000]

[signature]
Tough day in heaven. But don't let it get you down you will have worse days than that.
[signature]
[#385000][size 2]Hey Mike, I'm not complaining. I'm used to these things. I fished in the same boat as Blm, twice! HA!

I'll be heading up again 2 to 5 times this week. Its cheaper than traveling on vacation.

Btw, the 3 fish I caught were real big fatties for slots.
[/size][/#385000]

[signature]
Got to your so called "Heaven" at 1:00. Parked at the marina and walked down to the ice. Lots more snow than there was yesterday afternoon. Lots more slush too! Got onto the ice and fished various open holes looking for fish. Nothing. One quick look from one fish was all I could find. Watched a guy go in to his hip as he was leaving the ice. Saw another lady go in to her hip on the way onto the ice. She managed to splash quite a bit and got quite wet. Her day was over!

Decided to continue my search for fish. Went to a couple of other holes. Still nothing. Decided to drill a hole in an open patch of snow. Got almost to the middle and took my turn stepping in a 10" hole. Never thought a size 12 Sorrel could fit down a 10" hole so slick!! I only went in up to my thigh, then the snowsuit & sweats bunched up and stopped my decent. Sure was cold! Boot full of water. My gloves all wet too. After I brushed off and got some dry gloves on I fished for another hour. Couple of fish swam through, but didn't care to inspect my offerings.
Oh well, some days are like that.

Waiting for Rockport!
Chester
[signature]
are there really that many open holes up there under the snow? Seems like a pretty quick way to end a day of fishing.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ouch... You are a bitter little man.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[size 6]Shrinkage[/size]
[signature]
It was a tough day alright. Doggonefishin and I were on the slush at about 11 am. DGF caught a 17" right off the bat, thought that this would be a start of a good day. Wrong! I caught one cutt, pushing close to 20", several nibbles all day, no more fish after that. DGF ended up with 5, all in the slot. BTW, the only fish that I caught was on a dropshot/wacky-rigged white 4" Senko. Thought I'd give HA69's method of catching trout at the "Heaven" a try.
Bring on the perchies at Rockport!
[signature]
[size 2]Where were you George? We were about 25 feet from the gas pumps.[/size]
[signature]
We were about 100 yards south of the boat ramp, pretty much away from the crowds. Saw 4 fish caught around us all day.
[signature]

Two observations from today that may be helpful for those going up in the next few days. 1. The slush was bad. Take footwear appropriate for 4-6 inches of slush and a foot of snow. Hopefully, the temperatures will get low enough to freeze it. 2. We were doing OK until 2PM, then it absolutely died. (left at 4PM) I had 1 bite (hook-up but got off) in the last 2 hours. Very few on the finder during this time and they weren't biting. Early starts may be best.

How about those Utes. This alum (class of 89) never dreamed he would ever see a season like that! Good luck to all going out this week.
[signature]