Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead 01/01/05
Saturday, 01/01/05- Hit the water late (9:00 am), maybe because of the activites of the night before, and headed for Hemenway. Nice cool day to be on the water. I wanted to try a couple of new swimbaits that my wife gave me for Christmas. Rigged up two poles and started trolling between Hemenway and Speical Events Beach. Nothing. Headed over to Horsepower Cove for a lap. Sonar showed plenty of fish about, so I took another lap. Nothing. Headed back to Lake Mead Marina, trolling all the way. Nothing. Saw a nice Striper boat trolling along the beachfront also. Off the water by noon.

My lack of success could be explained several ways- my tardy arrival, my lack of basic trolling skills, you know speed, depth, area, etc. Or perhaps the fish were not biting (ignor Big E post for the same day). But, I really think my wife is to blame, you see, she did not get me the right lures!

Have a happy new year,
BaySport
[signature]
Ahh.. I like the last excuse.. Blame it on the women Big Grin I blame my lack of success on having no boat, and the fact that I cant fish for s&*% ! !
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] Thanks for the report. Yeah, I think you hit the head right on the nail there. Women, they should know by now which lures to buy. As much talking as we (or I) do about the whole fishing thing, they should know. Unfortunatly, when I talk to my wife about fishing, the return look is similar to what a deer looks like as he stares at the headlights.

Hey Doz, I don't have any problems fishing, it's the catching part I need to refine.

David
[signature]
Right after a plant the stripers are up real shallow. Then the planter trout in Mead run for it to the cover of brush if there is any and then into adjacent coves and under the ferry at handicapped fishing pier . Pretend you are stupid planter who never had a predator factor in your life and forgetfully you wander out of the shallows. Then a big striper is chasing you trying to eat you. Got it? park shallow and fish deeper. Edges of flats are standard ambush structure. A day after the plant you are targeting these areas and moving a lot. 600+ trout don't last that long.
[signature]