Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube Sleddin Lincoln Beach 1-6-05
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe's still in Arizona, I finished my consulting gig and I had to get out of the house. Decided not to try Deer Creek. I was afraid everyone would be up there with video cameras watching for the silly old dude in a float tube trying to slide down the hill, as suggested by I-Paul. Sorry to disappoint.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was snowing at noon in the west valley, but my secret sources said it was calm...no W and no S down off Lincoln Beach. Weather forecast was for 30% chance of snow. Those odds were good enough for someone as odd as me. Time for the first tubing trip of '05.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was about 6-8" of snow on the ground around Utah Lake, but no ice. The snow made it dicey for driving down to the lower level. Didn't want to have to leave my vehicle down there until the thaw, if my 4X4 couldn't get me back up and out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had noticed that the parking area at the launch ramp had been plowed. I drove back over there and parked. Decided to use an old ice fishing trick...using my float tube for a sled. Turned out that my SUPER FAT CAT, with the pointed bow, worked a lot better than my old round tubes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had to drag my "tube sled" about a quarter mile to the first spring. Sheesh! I have hauled a heavy sled farther than that on the ice. Piece of pie. The SFC tracked good. Only problem was that I slipped in the snow covered rocks as I got close to the water and sprained my right ankle. Made it painful to kick once I got launched, and a booger to haul the tube back through the snow later.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What a hoot! First time I can remember, for a long time, having the first spring at Lincoln Beach all to my ownself. I started working close, for toothy critters. Zippo for the first half hour. Even went inside the spring. First time ever for that. About 4 feet deep, but no fish in there today. Wierd. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I did notice that the lake is rising. I guess it is up about a foot from last month. Those in the know can tell from the pictures. The first spring is now wide open to the lake, instead of just the narrow channel.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Worked outside the spring, moving farther out. Had a couple of light taps, but no munches. Figgered I would maybe at least try for some white bass, for the scampi pan. Had a rod rigged with a new custom color plastic, on a small head. Sudden service. I got three and had two more on, before the soft plastic was in tatters and needed to be replaced. BUT...the little box with the new stuff was still up in my car. [url "mailto:$#@%^$"][#0000ff]$#7%^$[/#0000ff][/url][/#0000ff][#0000ff]#&[/#0000ff][#0000ff]

[/#0000ff][#0000ff]I tried a succession of other colors, with only a couple of light hits. Then, the 30% snow gathered itself up and headed for Lincoln Beach. Before it hit (see pics), the water was glassy smooth. Then, it turned dark and got windy real fast. As the little white flaky things started pelting me, my mother's son beat if for shore and hauled tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I only got to fish for a little over an hour, but it was good waving a rod and bending my stick. I got the whities on a 7 foot ultralight and 4# line...using some custom hot pink and chartreuse slider grubs I had just whupped up...on some new flathead 1/32 oz. jigheads. I gotta remember to take some replacements with me next time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Although I had the wind (and snow) at my back, the sore ankle made the return to my vehicle a chore. With the increasing storm and all, I just deflated my craft, stuffed it in the Jimmy and boogied. Didn't even shuck my waders until I got home.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool] sounds loike a decent trip...
[signature]
Nice report there TubeDude! You sir are a brave man. At least the cold water and tight waders are good for your ankle. Remember R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, and elevation)! This is the magic trick to getting sprains/strains all better. Of course an appropriate dose of motrin or naprosyn doesn't hurt either!
[signature]
hey TD. i would like to say that i would have liked to join you on this one..but i'm still trying to get harm from the last time you talked me in to tubeing in the icey cold waters of L.B.. lol

looks like you had a good time all the same!!

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
Some decent whiteys there. Thanks for the report. I may have to get away for a quick stunt. Was the marina plowed? Wonder if I could get the pontoon close enough for a launch.
[signature]
I rode down Tuesday morning for a lookabout. The water seemed a little soft for my liking,HA!
[signature]
You are definately crazy! my wife thaught I was a maniac when it comes to fishing. But I think you take it to an even greater extreme with that float tube. I did a bunch of float tubing years ago, but never in that cold of water. My hat goes off to you Tube Dude!
[signature]
So the electric undies work ok then?
[signature]
[cool]Holy crap, TubeDude! When it comes to adventures in the float tube, you live in the fast lane, man!! What a wild and fun adventure! At least you got a few whities for your troubles (sprained ankle, etc.). The fact that you had the place all to yourself is a very cool thing. The news of the lake up a foot is excellent news at that! I've gotta look at these pictures now and see what type of jighead you were talking about. Can't wait to start making some!

Question on the flat jig heads. Was that the minnowhead, or the round head pounded down for the "flutter" effect? Inquiring minds wanna know!
[signature]
OK PAT THAT SETTLES IT YOU ARE CERTIFIABLY NUTS FOR THIS LAST STUNT BUT I CAN'T REALLY BLAME YOU . YOU NEVER CEASE TO AMAZE ME ! THAT WATER HAD TO BE COLD, TALK ABOUT THE TURTLING AFFECT [unimpressed] NICE WORK ON THE WHITE'S I SURE HOPE YOUR ANKLE FEELS BETTER IF NOT MATEO'S HOME BREW WILL HELP. [Wink] HE MAKES A SWEET NECTAR.
[signature]
Tubedude-
I know a real good Physical Therapist (me) that can get that ankle back to flipper worthy in no time at all. I sent you a PM with my clinic phone # and I can get you in tomorrow.... I'd hate for you to be out of commission for any longer than is needed.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Bigcat, ol' buddy, I replied to your PM. For you and TKB, who seem concerned with my physical welfare, thanks. However, my ankle is much improved this morning, even though I won't be doing high hurdles or dragging heavy ice sleds across the frozen wastelands for a few days.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]mikecromaine and maniac seem to think that I need mental therapy more than physical therapy. They might be right. I have been tubing over 40 years (yeah, I'm that old) and I have racked up some doozie expeditions over the years. I have fished hundreds of lakes and rivers from a tube, and I have fished salt water in the Atlantic, Pacific, Gulf of Mexico and Sea of Cortez. I have launched and beached through nasty surf conditions (both salt and fresh water), and I have taken some "fun" trips down through river rapids (stupid). I fish every month of the year from a tube, and have had to fend off large windblown ice chunks...almost getting ground to bits on Starvation Dam one time. Toss in that I have tubed for sharks, sting rays, sturgeon, stripers, salmon, steelhead and some other biggies and that just about makes the case for the straight jacket. BUT, that would mess up my casting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To Fuzzy: I stayed comfortable, but I was only out there for about an hour. That's different than a full morning. Also, your fins were too tight and cut off circulation to your frigid digits. I dress properly for the occasion. In other words, once I am suited up, don't expect me to bend over and pick something up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]To CBR: The parking lot was plowed, for which I was grateful. The ramp was not. And, there was deep snow on the south road that goes out to your launch spot. The water in the ramp area had an inch or so of ice on it. Probably won't be good 'toon launching until the snow melts again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Mateo: You been hitting your homebrew too heavy. You cain't wear electric undies. Might lead to "shorts". Ouch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]O4T: I am putting together a pictorial on the Slider Grubs and the little heads I make for mini plastics. The ones that worked best yesterday were the flattened round heads, with the plastic barb...1/32 oz on size 4 hooks. The fish were slow, in the cold shallow water, so a slow drop and very little motion was what got the most attention. But, most of the hits on the new stuff were good pops. One of the fish actually swallowed the jig. When I filleted the three I brought home, I did not find anything in their digestive tracts and they were thinner than the other white bass I have been catching through the fall and early winter. They are hungry, so if you can find them you should be able to catch a few.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Really surprising that the white bass weren't in the spring. A couple years ago I had a day of non-stop action for them, this time of year in the First Spring.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was surprised too. That's why I worked the spring. I thought there would be fish in there, if anywhere. I had a couple of light taps on small plastics, that I suspect might have been bluegills. However, that was it and I did not see any marks on the sonar.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Strangely enough, I only got any action at all about fifty yards out from the mouth of the channel of the first spring. Most of the best fishing has been within an easy cast of the point at the mouth, but not yesterday. Maybe the changing weather had the fish moving out to deeper water. Who knows. It is for sure than when things stabilize those springs will again be good spots to cast.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Tube Babe thought you were home doing computer maintenance ... not so!! Guess I had better get home before you REALLY hurt yourself!
[signature]
OOOPS! Busted! Good try tho Pat, ya think she wouldn't find out? LOL
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Some guys complain that their wives don't understand them. Mine understands me all too well. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The lady is modest. She has plenty of her own adventure stories to tell. 'Course, most of her "FUN" situmatations were the result of trying to keep up with me...or keep me out of trouble.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeBabe hates snakes. But...snakes seem to be attracted to her. Kinda like me and cats. Anyway, on the lakes down in Arizona her head was always spinning around like the little girl in The Exorcist, watching out for snakes. You ever see a Polaris missile launch from a submarine? You got the idea of what TubeBabe looks like coming out of her float tube when a "slither-goody" gets too close out on the water. A friendly little blue racer wanted to climb up into her tube with her one time and she just about splashed all the water out of Lake Pleasant thrashing at it with her landing net. Probably gave the poor little snake a complexion or sumpin'.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Anyways, I didn't mention about the recovery party (for my sore ankle), and I should get all the empties cleaned out before she gets home. (Oops, I done it again)[/#0000ff]
[signature]
No bows caught? A friend of mine went out sat. and caught nine. I belive the reason for all the bow there is because of the brake in spring lakes head works that drainned it and all the fish in it. about a month ago.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hadn't heard about that, but I had heard a couple of other reports of rainbows being caught in the area. If I had fished bait, or tossed a spinner, I may have found a trout or two. The whities sure weren't in there, at least during the short time I tried it. But, the fish can move in and out freely there now, so it could change in minutes.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[green][size 2]Just tape a six pack to your ankle. When ya start to get comfortable reach down and pluck a ....well you know.lol

Might have to hit LB on sat.
[/size][/green]

[signature]