Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adjusting the length of the shaft on electric trolling motor?
The distance from the top of my bow to the water line is 24". It has been recommended that I get a 54" shaft. I might be able to get a better deal on a 60" shaft. My question is this, how difficult is it to raise the shaft (I don't mean tilt it) so the motor is not running so deep, on a Minn Kota Power Drive trolling motor, for the few times I am fishing really shallow water, and a 60" shaft would drag bottom otherwise? Also, does having Auto Pilot and Co Pilot make any difference on how easy it is to raise the shaft?
[signature]
I have a transom mount Minn Kota, and have had to rotate the head a couple of times as sometimes I mount it on the back of my boat, and sometimes the front. Mine at least, would be pretty easy to trim the shaft length to make it shorter. If you can get a great deal on a 60", I'd go for it and trim it. I don't know about the bow mount foot control models, but I can adjust mine to be higher or lower in the water also, anyway.
Hope this helps, might be comparing apples to oranges though.
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Kent
I havnt' looked at the autopilots much but my bow mount is adjustable up to 48" once I set it at a depth and tighten everything down it stays at that same depth.
I've also shortened the shaft on another old minnkota my friend was using to push his flat bottom around and didn't want the handle clear up over his head.
those shafts on them are composit or sometimes steel and they can be shortened but you have to remove all the wiring in them to do that and then replace it all and make sure all the wires can still function.
Dan
[signature]
I don't want to permanently shorten the shaft, I just want to know if it is a big deal to slide it up a few inches from time to time, so it doesn't go as deep into the water? Understand, that I have minimal experience with an electric trolling motor.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]IF it's like 90% of electric trolling motors, it's one hand knob to adjust the motor height.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks Danzilla and BearLakeMack.
[signature]
I've been looking on minnkota's website trying to find a picture of that motor that detailed enough to show a set knob to control the depth of the motor and they dont have any but on mine it has a knob on the side of the shaft that controls the depth.
Dan
[signature]
The depth is determined by a collar on the shaft that is fixed in place by a screw with a thumb knob. You just position the collar where desired and tighten the thumb screw. Its really easy to do while the motor is raised and stowed. The autopilot and copilot have no affect on raising the motor or adjusting the depth collar. I'd go with the 60" shaft. You don't have to have it all the way down and probably will not. It will only stick up 6 inches higher than the 54" model. The extra length is nice when the water gets rough and the waves keep lifting the bow and motor out of the water. You'll LOVE the AutoPilot!
[signature]
Well, I won the bid and it is a 60 incher!

Ebay Item [font "Arial"]7125552524. Next, I purchase Co Pilot for it.[/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[font "Arial"][/font]
[signature]