Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Foot Soldier
Played foot soldier at Willard this a.m. Had a fun day from 8 am - 1 pm but wish I could catch more wipers. Caught 3 decent channel cats and 1 wiper. Since I'm new at this I don't know what size wipers are normal. They seem big to me. What's average? Today's was 19 1/2 in. Everything was caught within a few feet of shore at the edge of the rocks. In fact, I was starting to lift my lure out when the wiper boiled at it and took off. Fished north of the feed lot this time.

[crazy] Leaky
Hey Leaky

Were their may bugs out at that time? I haven't been up there that early since the first of the summer. What types of lures were you using. I went to sportsmans to buy some more green tube jigs and they were all gone. Have you tried them from the shore yet. They have worked for me on every trip to willard. I have also done very well with a white curly tail and a 1/8 oz. pink or chartreuse green head on 6 lb. line. I always put some shad scent on my lures. Seems to help.You ought to try some of those jigs on your next trip out. You should get more than one. Also 19 inches is a good size. I don't get one that big on every trip, but sometimes I will get a few bigger than that. Good luck
wiper 24
[signature]
Hey Wiper24,

There's still some bugs there but a lot less then just a couple of weeks ago, probably because of the cold whether. The wind helps to. I'm not sure exactly what they are called (sassy shad?). It was a 3 in plastic fish with a spade type of appendage on the end of the tail to give it a swimming motion. I was close to a shad coloring (I think), clear plastic body with silver flecks impregnating, with a black strip down the back on a 1/8 oz jig with a silver flecked head and white eye with black pupil. The previous wipper I caught on a white tube jig 1/8 oz. I use white curly tails all the time at Jordanelle for bass with good success. Sounds like we use similar stuff. I was surprised with the channel cats. I even had a very large carp take the jig. Yes, in the mouth! He didn't fight nearly as well as the wiper though. Can't wait to eat them!

[crazy] Leaky