Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican 1/15/05 Report
Hit Pelican today with TubeDude, Kayote, and Tincanfsh. Got a rocky start, but I will let others tell that story, if they choose to do so. Fishing was never red hot, but we caught them all day long. We ended up catching at least 100 fish, with about 10 of them being bass, with the largest going about 14 inches, and the rest were bluegill with the largest going over 11 inches. Kayote also got some great pictures that hopefully he will post. Fun catching something through the ice other than trout for a change. Great company, lots of laughs, and a beautiful day to be out fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Kent, sounds like a good day and clear weather. 100 fish for four guys doesn't sound too bad, is that last picture a double?
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a great time with great people on a fun little lake. Hope that "rocky start" wasn't too bad, whatever it may have been. Glad you guys got into some nice beer badder fish!
[signature]
Just read this after posting mine!!! Shoot!!!!! Where were you guys? Did you see a couple of guys with Goldens on the East side??? Sure wish I'd known you guys were going to be there!!!! Must of missed a post about you guys going. Oh well, maybe next time.[unsure] We may be going next thurs. again.
Leaky[Smile]
Dude,
Well, I'll say this. If it was Sparky, don't get too proud. He Winks at everyone and everything, "Sparky". He does prefer the girls though. I'm guessing it wasn't us. We only had one on a leash when we left, pulling one small sled and we left about 1:30-2:00. We were at the East side towards the north end and only about 200 yds out. Didn't pass anyone on the way in. Had absolutely no problems with ice, thicker at the shore where we were?
Don't know if you read my post but since we didn't run into any bass do you have any suggestions? Like I posted, we were in a little less than 8 ft. and used ice flys and waxies. Location, lures, depth, all the above? By the way the Cuda worked great. Had to increse the intensity a little though. What impressed me is being able to see them moving thru, movig my jig, following it to the level they were at and increasing my hook ups. Question - can you do something with em so that you can move it on top and see the depth without drilling holes?

Kent - next time.
Leaky
I had my best luck on bass with a small Forage Minnow tipped with a short piece of night crawler.
[signature]
Hey guys great to hear you all did so well.
Where you guys fishing off the point on the north side?

Sorry to hear you took a spill Pat and messed up the ankle again along with the knee and fishing gear this time, I know what thats like, it bites!
[signature]
Don, we were fishing off the east side almost straight out from the last parking area heading towards the south. I have also been asked about Forage Minnows. I have had good success with them through the ice, and they work particularly well at Strawberry when one needs to downsize a little. I purchased mine at Sportsman's and at Hooked, and they are commonly available. Here is what they look like:

[Image: foragmin8sing.jpg]
[signature]
Hey guys, thanks for the great day. I had a lot of fun and laughs. I must clarify on Tuber going through the ice. Tin, Kent and I had just crossed this piece of ice safely so I encouraged TD to go for it. Little did I know Mama has been giving him regular meals, and we're not talking salads. First he goes through, then he falls on his butt, then he flips over on his belly and breaks three fishing rods and reels. As he was wallowing in the mud I was not laughing at all. I was just hoping he wasn't hurt. I didn't laugh till he was out of earshot, LMAO. It was a great day and lots of fish were hooked. Great company all the way around. I'm sure glad Kent caught some fish this time or I would have never heard the end of it, hehehe. We'll all have to get together again soon. Enjoy the pics. Later.

Good Fishing, Kayote
[signature]