Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry - 1/17/05
Took a first timer to Strawberry today and couldn't possibly have had a better day. The sun was out all day and the wind was non-existant until about 2:00. First day this season I didn't fire up my heater inside the tent. The slush was non-existant. After having trouble with a wheeler last week, I was really hesitant to take it with me again, but now I'm glad I did. I cruised across the bay over to Haws Point without ever engaging the 4wd.

Fishing wasn't super hot, but we picked up 20 cuts between the two of us, all in the slot. We we're using chartreuse and white paddlebugs and foxy jigs tipped with meal worms. I also tried a white jig head with a minnow. This was only my 2nd time trying minnows at the berry and so far I'm seeing meal worms pick up just as many fish. About the only difference that I've noticed is that most of the bigger fish came in on the minnows.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Good to hear we can again travel the hard top. What did your first timer think of Berry Fishing?

Sounds like its time I make a return trip.
[signature]
The first timer loved it. She had some other friends take her fishing over the summer, but never caught anything. We both pulled in an even 10 fish a piece yesterday and she was pretty excited about it. The funny thing is that she grew up in Alaska, but didn't start fishing until she moved to Utah.
[signature]
We made it up to the berry yesterday as well. Same story as usual: white and green tipped with mealies and waxies. All but one in the slot. The most important thing was that the slush had frozen on top. I hope with these warmer temps this week won't soften it up again. I am not used to dealing with these temps until late Feb and March. Jake
[signature]