Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to rig fishfinder
I just picked up an Eagle FishMark 320 fishfinder from Sportsman's that I'd like to use on Friday. I have no experience with them. Any suggestions for rigging it for the ice?

Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Go and get yourself one of those plastic "dry box" or lunch coolers. Mount the finder on the top and put a gel cell inside. Mount the transducer on a piece of aluminum or plastic pipe and rig it to the box on a bracket so it hangs in the water supported by the box.
That will work about as good as anything.
[signature]
Personally I like to keep my transducer free from the fish finder. I made a tee out of some small conduit, and mounted the transducer on the bottom. this will allow you to move your sonar unit, wherever you want to position it. make sure you put a fuse on the posative wire from your battery, to protect it from shorting and ruinning your unit. I made a small box out of 3/8" plywood to mount the sonar unit on and store the battery inside. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck and good fishing!
[signature]
I drill the center out of a 5gal bucket lid, put a 1/4-20 bolt through it then get a long nut to connect a piece of 1/4-20 allthread to, on the other end of the allthread you can mount the transducer. Depending on how long your allthread is you could go up to a foot deep (I just make sure the transducer is in the water, I've never had a problem with it not being deep enough in the hole.) If you rest the bucket lid down flat and tighten a nut around your first bolt it keeps the nut/allthread straight up and down, and if you mount your transducer right it is always level. This way you have less of a chance of someone kicking your cooler/lunchbox and messing up your transducer level. The only bad thing is you have to drill the finder it's own hole. Hope this helps!
Steve
[signature]
I HAVE ABOUT THE SAME UNIT YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. I MOUNTED MINE IN A BOX I BUILT FROM 3/8S PLYWOOD MY BATERY AND FINDER AS WELL AS SIX ICE POLES ALL BAIT AND MY JIG BOX. THE COOLEST PART IS THE LID. TAKE IT OFF AND PLACE AT ON END ATTACH WING NUT AND IT SEATS TWO PERSONS.
[signature]
Sportsman's has the box and batteries. They can set you up if you don't want to do it yourself. It will cost a little more than if you do it but they know what they are doing.
[signature]
Here is a picture of mine. I can get it ready in about 40 seconds. I just rigged the bracket for the moniter on a ram mount, (this way, you can move it in any direction) then put the wires inside on the bottom, put down some foam over the wires (make sure the wires are coming out the side the bracket is on) then put the moniter on the foam along with an alarm battery so the bouncing around don't ruin them, and when I am ready to go, just attatch to the bracket, plug in the wires and turn it on. The transducer is on the oppisit side of the moniter and I just used pvc pipe and put the transducer on that. Then I cut the same diamater pvc pife horrazontaly so the transducer pipe will fit inside to clamp it on. (If that makes sense.) Make it about 2-3 inches smaller than the box it is on. I mounted another cut pvc pipe on one side to transport the transducer with. Give me an email, and I can take more pics and show them to you.

Bart
[signature]
YOUR SETUP IS A LOT LIKE THE ONE I BUILT EXCEPT I HAD THE TRANSDUCER MOUNTED ON A PLASTIC PIPE CROSS THAT I'D PUT IN THE HOLE. WORKED SWEET BUT BRIGHT LIGHT SOMETIMES MADE THE SCREEN HARD TO SEE. I DON'T THINK THOSE LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAYS DO AS GOOD IN THE COLD AS THEY DO IN THE SUMMER.

DID YOU MAKE IT HOME WITH THAT OLD TIMER POCKET KNIFE? I KNOW IF'N IT HAD BEEN ME IT WOULD BE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE LAKE.
[signature]
Maniac - What size fuse do you use? and can you explain your rig up with it on there? I just bought a new Humminbird 565 and want to set it up right, etc.

F4F
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here's my set up. A lot like the ones described.[/size][/black][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=87464;#87464"][black][size 3]My Portable Sonar Set Up[/size][/black][/url]
[signature]
Here are pictures of my setup:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=170767;search_string=five%20gallon;#170767"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=170767;search_string=five%20gallon;#170767[/url]
[signature]
BLM -

Very nice. I notice they sell those at Sportsman's. Did you do that and sell to them or get the idea swiped away?!?

Where did you buy most of your stuff, especially that Marine 12V thingy.. [Smile] and that cool power cable with the built in fuse.

Very cool rig up. Will be hitting the store tomorrow to put mine together.

F4F
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]No, no one swiped my idea. Like others, I took a basic idea and expanded upon it. Here's a few observations.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When you buy the dry box, buy the biggest one they sell that will hold Everything included the sonar unit, transducer arrangement, etc, etc.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The fused wire on my battery is the in-line fuse sold with the power cable I bought. Be sure when you fuse your unit, use the right amperage and buy a few extra just in case one blows. Nothing sucks more than a blown fuse without a spare.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The 12V thingy is a 12V accessory plug, Same as a cigarette lighter in a car. Cheap and clean. Also if you have another male end for the plug, you can easily charge your battery through the plug not having to remove the battery from the box. Just hook your charger to the wires ends of the male plug.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Use your imagination and creativity and you'll come up with a fine set up like the ones shown in this and other posts. If you need any more info, just ask.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
What size fuse do you use? Does it differ per unit? [unsure]

F4F
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Without going out and looking, I beleive it is 3 amps but I'm not staking my life on it. Check your manual and look at the installation instructions or the parts list. If it's not there, go to the manufacturer's website and either look it up or ask customer support.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Sorry for all the ?'s, I just want to do it right. Do you recommend getting a 2nd 12V battery? Thanks for all the help!!! [blush]

F4F
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you buy the standard 12V, 7 amp battery you should be fine for a few seasons. The battery will last all day, even with backlighting on. Having two batteries doesn't hurt but is not a must. Here's a discussion on batteries that might be helpful.[/size][/black][/font]
[center][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=175370;#175370"][font "Comic Sans MS"][#000000][size 3]Posts on Batteries[/size][/#000000][/font][/url][/center]
[signature]
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'm planning on combining many of the ideas that I've seen here. I'm not quite sure what I'll end up with, but I guarantee it won't be quite as pretty as BearLakeMack's setup!
[signature]
Wow, what alot of great ideas. Now I feel like a sap for buying the "blue box." I'd better not tell my wife I could have used that old tool box or cooler!!
BTW - first day here - cool site!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hi FlyingFish! Welcome to the site. You know how us down home folks do things around here. Shucks, we just use what's lying around the casa. Opps, that was a different thread! LOL! Sorry couldn't help myself... Again welcome to the site and enjoy![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]