Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for new Rod
I decided to give myself a present. After 26 yrs with the same rod I am thinking of retireing it. I do have a couple of newer rods but they have never quite seem to fit the bill. So i would ask for suggestions before I go looking at new rods.

Please no ugly sticks as I have one and it's ok I just have never done well fishing with it. Unless you can explain why I hook more on an old glass rod than I do on the newer ugly stick. Also I think I will go to a medium/heavy from my light/medium that I am currently using. Thanks in advance guys.

Marty
[signature]
Without knowing where you fish, for what species and with what kind of bait or lures it is tough to make specific recommendations. It's like trying to answer the question "How high is up?"

I'm probably the wrong guy to respond, anyway. I have built all my own rods for longer than you have had your old favorite. I probably have over fifty rods...and like most fishermen, I still don't have enough.

I fish from a kick boat most of the time. I have a rod rack that holds four rods, plus a tube for the rod I'm actively using. That's five rods I take out on every trip. Sometimes it's overkill, but I often use them all. Not bragging here. Just making the point that rods are like a golfer's clubs or a carpenters tools. There are different ones for different jobs.

That being said, I can make a few recommendations. If you want maximum feel and enjoyment, get a light to medium-light stick. Get a fast action for throwing light lures and baits on four to six pound line...on a light reel. You can fish all day with a rig like this, with good feel and without wearing yourself out. Small fish are fun and big fish are a blast.

For using line heavier than six or eight pound test, you should look at a medium action rod, with a softer tip and a beefier butt section. You need to let fish take the lure...especially crankbaits...before setting the hook, but you need enough starch to sink the hooks in hard mouths of bigger fish. Medium actions are good for bass, walleye and casting for wipers.

For trolling big lures, for big fish...or for casting big cranks or jerkbaits...or for fishing heavy jigs...get a medium heavy to heavy action. Spool with ten to fifteen pound line...or one of the new small diameter super braids.

What brand? The good news is that you don't have to spend a fortune to find a serviceable rod. You can get a decent graphite composition rod for under fifty dollars. You can also spend a couple hundred on a top of the line rod that will last the rest of your fishing career. If you fish a lot, and want the best feel and performance, get the best you can afford.

Rod length is another issue. It's a matter of personal preference. Shorter rods make more accurate casts. Longer rods allow you to keep your line up off the water better and give you a longer stroke on the hookset. They also act as a better cushion when playing a strong active fish, to relieve some of the strain on the line...or offset a sticky drag. I'm a big guy and I fish low in the water in a kick boat. I use mostly seven foot spinning sticks, but I do have a few six or six and a halfs...for heavier stuff.

Like yourself, I have acquired a couple of Ugly Sticks. I like them for trolling or bank fishing, but find them heavy and cumbersome compared to my lighter 100% graphites for casting lighter lures and maintaining maximum "touch" in finesse presentations. Some people love them and swear by them. It is a personal thing.

Oh yeah, if you already have a reel or two that you will be fishing on your new stick, take it with you and attach it to any rod you are considering. It should balance right and feel good. If you can't make it fit the type of rod you want, then beg the spouse for a small dispensation, and make the extra investment in the right reel to go with it. Reels are a whole nother question.

That's my download. I'm outta here.
[signature]
[cool]I have to agree with tube dude, there is a rod for all occasions. My favorite all around rod is my 6'6" I.M.8 graphite rod in a medium action. It casts most my baits well and is not to heavy and comfotable to fish with. With the I.M.8 you can feel every little bump ding and wobble. You have to be some what careful with graphite rods cause they will crush easy. They aren't as abusible as a glass rod. Good luck rod hunting.
[signature]
The Browning Vectra is a pretty good all around rod. I've got a couple 6'6" with a Med. action. I've done well with them catching large mouth, wipers and muskies. I know at least one other person here other then me who owns one or two of them. Nomaly I think they run about $85. The last two I got I picked up as returned items at Cabela's for less then $30 each. I think Skeeter got an ever better deal on one. For the money even at $85 they're a pretty good rod.

Happy fishing,

Hobo
[signature]
I have to agree with Tube dude there are specific rods for different types of fishing. For example you don't go jigging in 80 to 100 plus feet with an ugly stick, with all that rod flex and line stretch there is no way you are going to get that hook in there jaw. So in that case you would want to use a heavier action rod. Some rods you can use for multiple species as Hobo brought up. The Browning Vectra is an excellent rod for the money and it works well for casting for wipers Walleyes and largemouth, smallmouthand I have seen hobo catch muskys on it as well. But a medium actoin rod is not best suited for muskys getting back to the right rod for the right situation, but it will work. But even with the Vectra there are things to consider like what type of handle is best? I have 3 Vectra rods out of my 30 or so rods and some of them have what is callled a tenessee handle which I really like. The only problem with this type of handle you have to tape on the reels which is a royal pain. But I like that type of handle because you can really find the proper balance. One thing you need to consider is the material that your handle is made out of there are corke handles and there are foam handle. Don't waste your money on a foam handle. My suggestion to you is to do what Tube dude said take your reel with you put it on the rod find the rod with the best balance and feel. Only pick up rods in your price range there is a big differance between high end rods and low end rod. If you can't afford it dont touch it. Go to an experienced sales person and tell them what type of fishing your going to do, and ask for there recomendations. Good luck.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hi road![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]These guys are all right on with their information and there is great reading there so I'll keep my two cents to a couple of pesos. If you want good rods off the shelf without sinking and arm and a leg into them, check out the upper end rods in the Bass Pro Shop catalog. I personnally like the Bionic Blades of which I own two of them. I love the feel and the expense won't put you in the dog house with your wife. They have a great selection so you can choose what is just right for you. My favorite is a 6' Heavy trigger rod with the power grip cork handle that I use for jigging macks. It's got that good feel of graphite and plenty of backbone to make killer hooksets and fight the larger macks.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Road, you opened up the biggest can of worms in the world. Can a guy afford to have every rod he desires? Nope. Should he have them? Yep. One rod, out of so many is the hardest choice to make. Bottom line is choose a rod that you can do all your fishing with. You cant troll for wipers or catch big laketrout on a 4 1/2 ft ultra light. But you can catch panfish on a nine foot ultra heavy. Its not much fun but it works. My personal recomendation would be to get a multiple of rods, in all different sizes and weights. But like I said, we all cant afford all those rods. So I recomend looking at a few rods that will catch all the species of fish that YOU fish for. We could get into what makes a rod sensitive, strong, what features are best for casting, trolling, ect. But this post would never end. Heres my recomendation on brand. Go into anglers inn and get a Wade. You wont regret it. Just ask Skeeter.
After more carefully reading your post, I would have to say that if you are interested in glass rods, rather than graphite, I would have to go with the lamiglass rods. My next rods purchase will be a couple big long lamiglass rods for trolling. Glass rods dont shatter like a graphite rod in the cold weather.
[Smile][size 4]Buy an upper end Wade and you will not regret it. The Wade is by far my favorite rod for the money. I use a 6'6'' medium action rod feels more like a medium heavy. It is great for Walleye, Bass, Wipers you name it I have even caught Lake trout in 80+ foot of water. The Wade has excellent tip action which allows for farther cast with less effort and it is light and balanced. Just a little warning if you can't afford 250 dollars for a rod don't pick it up.[/size]
[signature]
Hey you guys are great! I didn't post my pereference for fish because I wanted objective opinions on rods. I have no shortage of rods hangin on the wall in the basement. It's just that out of all of them there is only 3 that I ever use. My old glass rod by far has been my favorite. I use it for Trout, Bass, Walleye, and what ever eles may snatch that hook. I have several Heavy rods but since returning to Utah I have little use for them. I don't expect I'll be getting into and Albacore or deep water Cod here. I was considering going graphite, but it was interesting to find out that they may shatter in the cold. I spend a lot of time on Strawberry in the fall and winter. I stop gong when the lake freezes and I can no longer get on it. My glass is a Medium action but it leans to the light side of things. Its a blast for most everything I catch, but I am getting concerned about it's well being. The last thing I want this fall is to hook into that 15 pound bow and have my rod snap!

Now that 250 price range would have me sleeping outside for the next few months! She just got over me buying the little ford ranger 2 years ago LOL. I like my warm bed and my bed warmer so I will have to look at rods less than 100 bucks and hope she never ask how much!

Here's what I decided so far, I'm going to a 6'6" maybe a 7 footer as I have and use a couple of short rods (under 4 foot). Leaning real hard to stay with the glass but a composite may do the trick if it feels good. I don't remember who suggested Wade at Anglers Inn, but which Anglers would that be? I'm closer to Utah County than to SLC. Though I go to SLC more often that i do Utah Co. I prefer cork grips for a whole lot of reasons, the most important is the feel I get from them. I am also leaning to a med/heavy rod this time. But a good med would be just fine also.

Thanks again for all the advice, I didn't think this would be such a big can of worms, but it has been informative so well worth it.

Marty
[signature]
I have four rods that I use

fly rod

a glass rod for walleyes and up

Ice fishing rod

and a teliscopic rod that I keep in the glove box of my truck. I have landed every thing from small minnows up to 15 pound carp with this rod in the last 25 years. I use this rod more than any thing else put together. I would not dreame of retireing this rod, I have replaced the reel about 10 years ago because the aluminum of the first reel oxidized on me.

but for catchen them walleyes and salmon I have to go with a 7 foot glass rod. there is nothing like the feal of a good hard hit and the added fight that a londer rod will give you. I have caught sheep head (drum) as small as a blue gill with this rod.

the feel of the bite from a glass rod is like little tugs (feels like some one tapping on your pole) when the smaller fish are on line. on the ugly stick you will have to watch the end of your pole much more closely because of the lite action of the rod. this will alow the fish to take a little more line. the pole will bend some what befor you actualy feel the hit. in this case the fish has a chance to let go befor you realize you have a taker.

so to say which product is best is like saying which color of socks will work better. they each have their own spicific and unequece specialties.

so if you decide on which fish you want to target post it and you will get dozens more opinions on the whats and how to's. (might I add that it is more of an opinion what is best to use. your skills and knolage of the tools you use is what is going to make you productive)

good shopping to ya and dont for get to look at what Bigfishtackle superstore has to offer befor you select a new rod.
[signature]