Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake, No more Fog, No more Ice!
[black][size 3]If you were praying for Bear Lake to open back up then your in luck, if you where excited about ice fishing, well, lets just say your out of luck![/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[black][size 3]The weather in Bear Lake today was absolutely beautiful. This is the first day in I don't know how long, that we had sunshine, but with the sunshine came the winds and wiped out what little ice that had formed on the big pond. I didn't see a single soul out on the lake today, and for good reason. The lake was as aggrivated as I have seen it since October of 2004![/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The Cisco spawn seems to be coming to an end, if you haven't already gotten up here I would try to make it by the weekend. We will try to get over to the Cisco Beach area over the next couple of days to bring you updated reports.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Fishing on the lake seems to have slowled a little as well. Some of the best places to try are those locations where there hasn't been to much fishing pressure. I would try 1rst and 2nd points as well as the pump house. The next place would be on the West Side of the lake, I haven't seen anyone out there yet. This is usually a great time of year to fish these waters, the whitefish will be in pretty thick on the weedbeds, and the trout should be cruising the coast lines looking for the late spawning Ciscos.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Trolling would be a great place to start if your looking for some big fish. I haven't heard a lot of reports on the trolling but with the open water I would defently give it a look. Jigging should, as always, be productive. I would try using tube jigs tipped with Cisco, if your looking for trout, and Kastmasters, Swedish Pimples, and ice flies tipped with either a Meal Worm, Wax Worm, or a Salmon Egg to target the whitefish and the occational Perch. It isn't uncommon this time of year to pick up a big Yellow Perch. We have got some up to 16" and last year during some of the gill net studies they caught a Perch that would have been the new State Record. They said it was around 21" and almost 4 lbs! UNBELIEVABLE but true![/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Fishing will start to get really good again in just a few weeks. Usually all of the trout are stuffed this time of year but their motabolizm is so high after a feed like this that once they have digested all of the Cisco they get super hungry. Look for the fishing to get red hot around the middle of February.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I just want to thank everyone again for the help that you all have been in getting me updates on how your fishing trips have been on the lake. As you well know I couldn't figure all of this out on my own, seems like I get less and less time out on the lake.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Our business hours will change accordingly over the next few weeks......Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm. Sat 8am-5pm and we will be closed on Sundays![/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Best of luck to everyone and please remember to be safe when going out on the water. I would imagen that there is still a little ice floating around so watch where your going and take the safety equipment that you will need just in case of any accidents. Keep on "Rippin Lips"![/size][/black]
[signature]