Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHAT CAN BE DONE
I was up to Rockport today and when I walked over to where three PIGS had just left from. Under the ice was perch floating, another sportsman an myself cut holes an pulled out 17 perch from under the ice people or PIGS like this, is what kills a lake for everyone we have a lake with fair perch fishing an PIGS like this is killing the fishing for all of us, if they do not want the fish then don!t fish for them, what can we do?[mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad]
[signature]
The fish cops were too busy giving atv and snowmobile owners tickets at Lost Creek instead of catching up with the real law breakers that wasted those perch. I guess it doesn't really surprise me though. I feel your anger bassrods..
[signature]
I don't get it. Were they over the limit and dumped the extra when they saw a DWR officer or did they just not want the perch and let them die on the ice before throwing them back? Either way a ticket wouldn't be justice enough.
[signature]
hey bassrods.. i hear what your saying but unfortunataly we here in the west still have some of them hillbelly okie's around that still think that trout are the only fish we should have in the state to fish for.. and then there are others that still look at the perch as a trash fish.. your talking 17 to 20 fish.. i have been up at fish lake and seen over 300 perch just setting out on the ice.. the people that live them there think that they are doing the lake a favor by getting the trash fish out.. thats the kind of people that do things like that.. so as to stop it the DWR need to step up and start doing something about things like that..

you think the the DWR is going to do any thing about someone killing perch? in a place they did not want perch in the first place?
the only place here in utah the DWR cears about the perch is yuba!! because they have this scewed up idea that the walleye that use to be in the lake are going to magically reapeir in the lake if the perch come back!!

any one want to bet that if the walleye dont come back the DWR never will put walleye back in the lake..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
hey bassrods, what area where u fishing??? i was up there this morning.
[signature]
I'm thinking a cell phone and a digital camera could be pretty effective. Or a baseball bat. LOL
[signature]
Couldn't agree more, DWR doesn't care about walleye or perch. Nothing but trout hatcheries. Even when they closed Midway for Levitt fish farm disease they couldn't see the light. Walleye are not affected by whirling. Would they just start raising walleye to put in Deer Creek, Yuba and Starvation? Not a chance. As far as the DRW is concerned real fish don't have scales.

As for the poachers, and that's exactly what they are POACHERS, here is what to do, Call the poaching hotline and report them, both of you follow the poachers off the ice, write down the licence plate#, both of you write out a statement about what you saw the poachers poach and send it by mail to the DWR. Get pictures if you can. Be sure to note in your statements accurate discriptions of who, what when and where. Note exactly the time of the poaching hotline call, note exactly how many paces from shore the fish are under the ice and in what direction from what.

Law Enforcement does really care they are just overloaded with offenders, it is up to us to help them, hand them a solid case and they do follow up. Sometimes they know they will never get a conviction but will still show up at a poachers house "to follow up on an ongoing investigation" Think about it, 2 weeks from now, a knock at the door at night, Uniform, Badge, Gun. "We'd just like to ask you some questions regarding a complaint that was filed concerning wasting wildlife at Rockport res on Feb 1 of this year." Only takes them a minute, they like to do it just before dinner so they can talk about the look on the poachers face. And sometimes theye is a known mount or other evidence at the hopme that can incriminate the poachers.The poachers will know they were being watched. Soon they will think they are always being watched, and it will be true.
[signature]
I think the DWR have already answered your question. They didn't waste any time stocking rainbows in there, but they don't seem to have any plans to put any walleye in there. It's no different than Mantua Bass. most of the bass that were put back into Mantua, were bass that had been caught by fisherman. And then put into the pond on the east side of the lake, just before they poisoned it. This kind of action takes alot longer to return the fishery back to a productive place to fish. But what can you do when the DWR won't spend the money. If it were a trout lake it would get their full attention. They need to focus more on multi species! Not focus 90% of there resources on one species. Enough said!
[signature]
Perhaps the pigs did not know that they were killing the perch. I remember reading something about their swim bladder. If they are pulled up out of such and such a depth, they will not survive. I dont know if this is true, it seems like I read it when they where transplanting them from some resevoir to Yuba.
[signature]
None of the perch we caught last saturday could have been returned - from a 54 ft depth their bladder was so distended it was just a belly up fish in the hole. We tried to turn back several small ones but it was a no go so we ate them SmileThat may have been what those folks were doing but - thats a lot of fish to not notice they are not going anywhere. What can you do to help that - reel up slower?

Yuba is in my back yard and if they do not get the eyes back in there eventually I will be highly disappointed and banging on someones door.
[signature]
Where were the guys fishin and what time were they there? My brother in law and I were there just south of the boat ramp until about 11:00. Thats been abig problem at alot of lakes from what I've been told, I think that is part of the if you catch it keep it rule for perch at Deer Creek. I'm of the same opinion thats when you need a cellphone with a camera in it.
[signature]
We were there a few days ago and saw the same thing. The rules at Deer creek are there because perch will not survive if you bring them up from deep water in the winter, their swim bladders come out in their mouth. Rockport has the same problem with their perch and it is possible people don't know about it or like some of you said, they just don't care. If you bring the fish up slow enough they can be released Ok. Before we left a few days ago we went to a hole that a guy had just left, we started catching fish right away but then we noticed fish coming up around the hole. We took a closer look and noticed 7 or 8 lying under the ice. The guy that was fishing the spot before we came over was from Wyoming and was using a 4 inch ice auger. That was the first time I had seen a hole that small and the reason I know where he was from was, I talked to him in the parking lot before we got on the ice that morning. WH2
[signature]
Are you kidding? Now I'm i mad. I for one will say something if I see it. the jerks what do I say are jerks. (*&^%$
[signature]
i would have to agree with TD about new regulations on deep water perch.. but there are some deep water lakes that have perch in them like fiahlake that the perch do not go into the deep water.. inless they are suicidial that is.lol.. the fish there do not go into water more than 20 to 25 feet deep so they do not have the bladder problems that other lakes have..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
I have seen the same problem at Hyrum. The perch were in 50 feet of water and you had to keep them. I don't know if the people at rockport were trying to keep the biggest fish and put the small ones back. In any case they need some serious work on their ethics. I ask a fisheries biologist about bringing them up slowly so the swim bladder doesn't have this problem. His response was you could safely bring them to the surface over a period of 30 minutes. I can be patient but if the fish are biting I won't be that patient.
As for the concerns for Yuba. The DWR has ever intention of restoring the walleye fisherie at Yuba. Before you can put the top level predator back into the lake you have to establish a food base for it.The drought has made that difficult because the water levels have been so low. A couple of good water years and they will put the walleyes back. The rainbows are there so there is some fishing oppurtunity at yuba in the mean time. gshorthair
[signature]
well there is another problem with yuba that you may or may not know..the Sevier river feeds yuba not only water but a mass amout of carp as well with out a "top predator" in the lake there will be no lake left for anything but carp.. you give carp 1 year unchecked and you have just give them the lake..

just my 2 cents..

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
I agree the carp will be a detriment, but I don't think they will completely ruin Yuba. The walleye will do just fine once they are reintroduced in a year or two more.
[signature]
LAST TUESDAY CHUCK WAS DOING SURGERY ON THE BLADDERS OF SMALL PEARCH. OUT OF ABOUT 20 RETURNED ONLY THREE DIED.. AND CAME BACK UP...
[signature]
well this is getting off the subject.. but it's not the walleye that will suffer from the carp to start with.. it's the perch that will suffer from the carp.. then the walleye will in turn suffer from lack of food!!

the carp will distroy the Aquatic and nonaquatic plants in and around the lake there for leveing no place for the perch to spawn..

i'm sure you know what happens to the lake after that happens!!

dude on fish?
Ron
[signature]
You're definitely right there, fuzzy. I just think that despite the carp they'll still do well. They seem to do fairly well in Utah like coexisting with the carp, but that could possibly be due to the White Bass and other species that they can utilize as food sources.
[signature]