Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Fishing / Weather / Ramp Report
[black][size 3]Now that the Cisco have finally finished up with the annual spawn and have moved back into the deeper water, never really to be seen again for another year, the trout fishery will go into a slump.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The Cisco run is a great time of year for fishing. Not only did we all get a chance to stock up on our bait for the year but most of you probably caught your fair share of nice trout in the process. It is hard to see that kind of fishing go but as luck would have it, it is now time to start picking up on those big Bonneville Whitefish as they stay in where the Cisco spawned out to gorge themselves on all those Cisco eggs. I personally like this time of year. It isn't the best trout fishing, at least not for another week or two, but the Whitefish are a delicacy to me and my family so we get to harvest a nice stock pile of them to give to grandparents, inlaws, and of course for myself.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Look to the weedbeds as well as off of Cisco Beach and the Rock Pile to have best success. I personally like to fish in shallow water and it seems that I will still be able to pick off a few small Cutts at the same time. Most of the bigger fish are out in deeper water now as they follow the migrating Cisco and start to digest their "Thanksgiving" meal.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Small tubes(1 1/2" - 2 1/2"), Kasmasters, Ice Flies, etc. tipped with either a nice Salmon egg or worm will work the best for the Whitefish. Bigger jigs(4" - 6") tipped with a piece of Cisco will be the best bet for picking off those bigger fish in water from 50' - 110' of water.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]The ice is still forming on the lake as the snow continues to fall here in the Bear Lake valley. Not sure how much snow we will actually get by the time it is all said and done, but I don't think it will hinder access to the launching areas. As the ice continues to build and shift these launching areas can become unlaunchable. Please call before you come up for any new reports on ice & ramp conditions.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Thanks again for all the support that we have recieved over the past month. We look forward to better fishing around the middle of the month as the Bear Lake Whitefish start to move in for their annual spawn. These little whitefish are all about the size of a Cisco and although they don't come in in near the numbers that the Cisco do, it still makes for a wonderful fishing time on Bear Lake.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Our store hours will remain the same throughout the rest of the month. Mon - Fri 9am-5pm. Sat 8am-5pm. If the lake freezes up enough to get out on and do some ice fishing we will change our hours to try and catch all of you early morning fisherman.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]We still have a few Cisco nets remaining and are closing them out at 50% off. If your interested we are more than willing to hold them for you.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Best of luck and please stop by and say hello, you don't always have to purchase something, it is just nice to hear how everyone is doing out on this beautiful blue lake. Until next time, keep 'em bent! [/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Darin[/size]
[signature]
Thanks again for the update.
[signature]