Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TubeDude's jigs
I had the chance today to try out Pat's jigs ice fishing in Idaho that I bartered for at the jig party in Jan. They worked great. I had the best luck on the pink headed small road-runner jig with a white Booger body and a mealworm. After I got broke off (dang stupid knot) and lost it we tried other colors and variations catching some but not as well as on the pink head with the white body. I shared some jigs with my son Joe and he liked them also. He usually outfishes the old man but I got him today, 8 trout to 7. Thanks Pat. Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Well, I guess we are about even. I have "lost" one of the two quarts of salsa. Maybe we need to do some more high level negotiations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since I am from Idaho, you couldn't expect those fish up there to give my jigs anything less than a warm welcome. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The red/pink and white...or chartreuse...are some of the most universally accepted colors, by most species.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now we need you to change your line at least once a year, and learn how to tie decent knots. We'll get you there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat- Have some more of those small pink jigs made up for the next time we horse trade. I sure had fun on those nice fat Idaho trout, but I didn't stop to check the stress they were putting on the knot lifting them up out of the ice hole. Is a Trilene the best knot to tie on the jigs, or do you recommend some other knot? Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The knot is only part of the equation in getting broken off while ice fishing. As I am sure you know, the size and quality of the line is important. It is also important to retie after every fish that scrapes your line around the edge of the hole. That is hard on any line.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been using the Silver Thread Excalibur line for several years. I have never had a fish break me off, nor have I had a knot fail. Pretty strong claim. Right? I have also landed fish up to 20 pounds on the 4# Excalibur, and fish up to 30# on 6# test. This stuff is small diameter, clear and does not get kinky in the cold. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The greatest part is the abrasion resistance. I got it when I kept losing big flathead catfish because they kept cutting my Berkeley Trimax with their abrasive teeth. I can truthfully say that I never had one chew me off on Excalibur since. Even after bringing in deeply hooked walleyes and toothy troutskis, I seldom find much line damage or nicks. Like a good angler, I still retie to prevent losing the next fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have posted my favorite knot on other posts. I call it simply a "triple slip knot". It is simple to tie, even in low light conditions and for us "older gentlemen" with declining eyesight. Here is a link to a previous post.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=176058;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]KNEW KNOT[/url][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will send you some pics, by PM, and you can let me know which combo worked the best for you.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the link to see your triple loop slip Knew knot. I printed off the pictures and will play around with it and try to figure out how to tie it.
If the line scrapes the ice hole most of the way up do you cut off a bunch of line each time you re-tie the line to the jig? I did have old line on one reel and it broke just past the tip when setting the hook on one fish. Later in the day we snagged accidently the lost spinner and jig attached to the lost line. No fish on it though.
It sounds like I need to invest in the Excalibur line and try it out. Even with the Excalibur you are taking the time to stop and re-tie the knot after each fish caught?
Does the Excalibur require a backing such as mono?
Thanks for your information "The Intelligent One". Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Excalibur is not touchy stuff. It does NOT get abraded by ice. You can fish all day without having to cut back your line beyond the nicked part. That does not happen. Same for the knots. I have fished all day with one knot on one jig, and still had a good knot after fifty or more fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No matter what kind of line you use, and what kind of fishing you are doing, it is simply good practice to look at your line and run your fingers up and down it after a tough tussle. If you feel any rough edges, nicks or kinks, it is good insurance to cut the line back and retie. It is rare that I have to do that with the ExC, but stuff happens. I force myself to check periodically, just because it is good policy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Excalibur is a copolymer, a clear monofilament. It is good to spool the whole reel with it...but it is more expensive than some of the cheaper lines. Not nearly as expensive as spooling with pure fluorocarbon, but more than your WallyWorld "quarter pounder" spools.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You don't need to "top shot" with ExC, but I do anyway...for two reasons. I fill up the first part of the spool with cheaper line...usually left over from a previous trial run on line that did not measure up to ExC. I use a good blood knot to join the base line and the ExC, and then "top shot" with 60 to 100 yards of the good stuff. The first reason is that it is less costly (not much, but a little) and the second reason is that it helps force me to respool more often. I don't end up with brittle line that breaks easily...like yours did. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most anglers do not really use more than 30 or 40 yards of line while casting and retrieving. After several trips...with cutbacks, snags and retieing lures...your "top shot" has lost enough line that you can see the knot at the end of a long cast. That's when you make a mental note to yourself to strip off the rest of the top shot and add new line to bring the spool back to full. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you keep working the top shot (without respooling) until the knot leaves the spool on every cast, you are inviting disaster. Even a good blood knot is not 100% line strength, and it weakens over time. Combine that with the possibility that the spool filler line, beneath the ExC might be weaker, and you can lose a big fish that runs past the knot.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's also why "top shotting" is not a good idea for your trolling rigs. If you are long lining for wipers, you need a full spool of good high quality line, without knots or nicks. Anybody who has wrestled with wipers knows that they can abuse tackle. No need to give them any more advantages by scrimping on a couple bucks worth of line.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
In addition to fresh quality line and a good knot, a quality reel with a good drag is also an important factor. Of course, you must also know how to fight big fish, which I'm sure Tuber has figured out by now, hehehe. However, you can do everything right and still lose big fish. Just my dos centavos.

Daydreaming of the salt, Kayote

BTW - I like Stren and a San Diego knot.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, Special K, a good point indeed. Some folks are so accustomed to winching up little perchies, bluegills and such, that they do not consider the importance of "Plan B"...hooking a fish big enough to pop your line, if you do not have a smooth drag. Trying to adjust a too-tight drag as a big fish pulls your rod tip into the hole is a bit late. I have seen a few of those scenarios...and heard the loud pop of the line and the "colorful" words that followed.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suppose there are still a few folks on this forum that think "drag" refers to how they dress in California. Oh yeah, howzit lookin' for your opportunity?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, the final tally is in...for the Pelican Lake unsynchronized swimming meet. 3 totally wrecked reels and a digital camera that cannot be revived. Those bluegill were expensive.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[#0000ff]By the way, the final tally is in...for the Pelican Lake unsynchronized swimming meet. 3 totally wrecked reels and a digital camera that cannot be revived. Those bluegill were expensive.[/#0000ff] [/reply]
OUCH!!!
[signature]
Sorry about your loss TD, which clearly included your dignity LOL. Didn't hear on the career opportunity yet. I called tuesday and they simply havn't had interviews yet. Found four more jobs to put in for though.

The boy and I are heading to the salty brine in June with the yaks. We are entered in a very cool tournament in La Jolla. It's a yak tourny which benefits a childrens hospital. Half the entry cash goes to the hospital and half to the big fish. When you sign in you get a brand new 'Sponge Bob' rod and that's all you can use. The rig has 80 yards of 8 pound test. Big fish takes all. Way too cool. Probably be won by a medium calico or bonito because if you hook a yellow, white seabass or butt you'll likely get spooled. Zebco donated 150 rigs for free. I can almost hear the howls of defeat already. You know, this could make a neat BFT tourny in Utah if anybody was interested (sans the yaks).

Tincanfsh, the boy and I are hitting the Stein tomorrow to try for a big brownie. I'll let you know how we do. I really am sorry about your equipment loss. You're more than welcome to my Sponge Bob rig when I'm done. Later Bro.

Yakfishermen Have Bigger Bobbers, Kayote
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Judging by some of the tackle, and the techniques used by a lot of our Utah anglers (tanglers), the SpongeBob gear might be too sophisticated for them. A lot of 'em are still learning all the refinements of the "Snoopy System". (Joke, Petty)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, that tournament would be much fun. It would be a bummer to hang into something substantial on your first drop and get spooled. Don't know if that would make up for the days when you got all the good stuff workin' and can't get a big bite no matter.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat- I have fished for bass with Power Pro braided line for a few years and have liked it. What peculiarities does the Excalibur line have compared to mono or the Power Pro? Any special tips to catching more fish with the ExC? Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Braided lines, like Power Pro, definitely have their places. Their positive features are the small diameter and their no-stretch properties, for greater feel and hook-setting capability...especially when you have a lot of line out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The Excalibur IS a monofilament. However, it is a "copolymer", which gives it some enchanced features over plain old everyday "string". By blending different polymers into the line, you get just the properties you want. Some go for super limpness. Others sacrifice limpness for toughness and abrasion resistance, etc.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have boxes full of partial spools of many other lines I have put to rigorous tests, on the water. As I have stated before, I have been using the Excalibur almost exclusively since I discovered it in the late 90's. I first tried it to find a solution to the problem of losing fish to line failure...from rocks, fish teeth, broken knots, etc. And, as I have also claimed before, I have not lost a fish to line failure since.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Excalibur is a monofilament. You spool it up and use it just like any other one...Stren, Maxima, Cajun, Trilene or whatever. The diameter per break strength ratio is comparable (or less) than most others. It is supple and stays that way...with little or no "memory" (coil spring) problems. It survives both high heat (Arizona) and cold (ice fishing) conditions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Even though it is a monofilament, it has less stretch than most others and provides good feel and good hook-setting, even at the end of long casts. But, most importantly to me, over the years, has been the abrasion resistance and knot strength. It has stood up to the teeth of many many big toothy fish, the sticks and rocks of bass habitat and the rough edges of ice holes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Both TubeBabe and myself have taken many large catfish on both 4# and 6# Excalibur. My best was a 30 pound flathead on 6#. The small crappie jig it hit was well inside its mouth, and the line rubbed across its nasty teeth for about 45 minutes before I netted it. I retied after landing it, but mostly because the jig was trashed. The line was still in good shape.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8321;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have also landed large cats and largemouths that powered their way back into piles of abrasive water weeds. Some of the shallow coves on Saguaro Lake, in Arizona, get to be full of that stuff for several months every year. It has rough, abrasive stalks that quickly fray regular lines. On more than one occasion I fought 6# to 10# catfish to the tube, after they had "mowed" an acre of those weeds. The Excalibur cut through the tough weeds and they floated to the top. In some cases, I almost had to use a hay baler to net the fish. Most of the time, I was using only 4# line, while fishing for crappie or yellow bass.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8322;]
[#0000ff]This will be my last plug for Excalibur. I like it and use it. I have formed my own opinions and I have offered them. Use it or don't use it. Makes no difference to me.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I used Excalibur on a fishing trip to Lake Powell. I was casting and letting my jigs drop to the bottom. I got snagged countless times in the rocks, and I was amazed that despite repeated jerks in an attempt to get my jigs loose the Excalibur never got cut on the sharp rocks.
[signature]
Pat- You are a good salesman. I bet you could sell ice to an eskimo. Sign me up. I will convert to Excalibur as soon as possible. Thanks, Acey
[signature]
[cool]You don't have to tell me anymore about that stuff, TD. I have been wanting to get some Excaliber for quite a while, and will be ordering some soon, as I haven't seen any here in town. I've seen it on the Cabella's site and also at Barlows. That is one MONSTER cat you've got there, Pat! Bet you got some good towing action outta him, eh? That picture gets me excited for this Spring/Summer/Fall at Utah Lake!
[signature]
Pat- Thanks for meeting up with me today to do some trading again. I haven't dared tell my wife that I gave you two more bottles of her salsa in exchange for fishing jigs and Exalibur line. I showed the jigs to several fishing friends at the meeting and gave four various colored road runner jigs to Bryan to test drive for you. They had never seen anything like them before and were amazed at them. With luck I will get the ExC line installed and get out to try it next week. PM me when you are ready for the Idaho fishing trip so we can work out a date. Acey
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]If I end up as a correspondent in a divorce case, over the bottles of contraband salsa, all future trades are off. I suppose that would make an interesting case in court. Probably wouldn't catch the headlines, like Michael Jackson...or his sister's "wardrobe malfunction".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I couldn't believe it when you told me you were having such great success with those jigs on trout, while ice fishing off Antelope Island, in Salt Lake. But, I realize that you are a fishermen and us fishermen have to protect our "honey holes", so I won't question your honesty. (Snicker snicker)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not sure we will get in any more ice fishing trips this year, but those little gadgets work in soft water too. We will have to plan some spring trips up there, and maybe I can get you back into a float tube. Just no living with some people once they get a boat. Wimp.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat- You make me laugh. (but that is in a good way). Thanks a lot for letting the cat out of the bag on my Antelope Island ice fishing honey-hole in the Great Salt Lake. Now I'll bet every BFT moderator from Petty to Bear Lake Mack will be out there on the Salt Lake to try and figure out where in the hades the ice is at.
Like I was telling you, I got to the point where I didn't trust the integrity of the float tube bladder to keep me afloat. Also the boat motor is a heck of a lot faster than me kicking my guts out and getting cramps in my legs as a result. I have had a lot of fun in my younger days in a tube. I will try to attach an old photo taken at Daniels Reservoir. I still have the waders but I would need to get a better pair of flippers and a tube, or borrow my sons.
A friend would tube Fish Lake just as the ice was coming off and cast his lure onto the ice and then pull it off and let it sink down from the edge and catch a lot of trout. But yes, I was a wimp and stood on the bank and cast out rather than get my butt cold in the ice water. Acey

Life is Fishing...the rest is just details.
[signature]