Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle Provo River (Sorry, no Willard Post, but Predator said it was OK
[font "Technical"][font "Technical"][font "Technical"][size 4]Had the chance last week to fish the Middle Provo a few times while the weather was overcast and a bit rainy. It is the best time of year to throw streamers at the big browns that the river holds. I was there below Jordanelle and it was windy and very overcast. I started throwing my ginger wolley bugger pattern, and had the time of my life. I was able to hook and land 8 browns out of one hole, with five of them coming on 6 casts. The smallest was ~14 inches, and the largest was 20+ inches. I know these fish don't fight as well as the beloved wipers, but give them a bit of current, and it sure makes for an enjoyable experience. Over the next few days, I was able to make it to the river 2 more times, with each trip yielding many brown.

I would invite anyone who wants to come up here to fish the Provo to get in touch with me and lets have a go at it. Beautiful scenery, river and plenty of fish.

Keep your lines in the H2O.

Jacob[/size][/font][/font][size 2][/size][/font][size 2] [/size]

[size 2]jloveland@email.com

[/size]
[signature]
[Wink] Hey Jacob, you went and posted a post that wasn't about Willard Bay or Wipers on their official forum. You probably scared the heck out of these fellers. What's gonna happen if this turns into a multi species hangout? Or, HEAVEN FORBID, actually fosters some fly fishing...for critters in moving water...with spots and stuff?

Don't sweat it. I happen to know there are a lot of practicing fly flingers on the forum, although some claim to be in recovery. I think you are safe.

What was the condition of your fish? Were the males colored up for the spawning festivities? Also, did you notice any evidence of the skin mold that so often affects the browns below Deer Creek?

Congratulations on finding some good fishing, and being able to figure out what the fish wanted. There are some who might dispute this, but I believe that a wily old brown trout is usually a lot more difficult to fool than those silly wipers. Now, I guess it's time for me to duck the incoming.
[signature]
Thx for the report Jacob. Don't be intimidated by all of us Willard fisherman. Many guests would like to read reports on other places, so keep them coming. If I know how to fly fish, I would take you up on your offer!
[signature]
Here's a link for all you brown trout lovers...

http://www.localfishermannews.com/new%20...page60.htm

Nice fish, but I'm not sure what the guy's done to its gill plate.
Hey, Dennis, I thought you bled out your fish too. That appears to be what the guy has done...severed the blood vessels in the gills to bleed out the fish. He must be from Utah if he keeps the big fish to eat. I don't know why he would do that if he wanted to put it on the wall.

I have float tubed Paulina, and several of the other lakes in that area in Oregon. There are a lot of dead trees there that those big old browns cruise through, hunting for breakfast. If you hook one of any size, you can usually plan on getting "timbered". The guy that got that one must have hooked it in open water...or was very lucky.
[signature]