Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stupid Question
Is there a air pound the tubes need to be pumped up to? I pump my U-boat up as far as I dare and then I look at T.D.'s and other tubes and tunes and they look like they about to bust the seems. Maybe I'm just chicken to put too much air in. My pump does have a guage on it, and I usually chicken out at about one pound. That doesn't seem like much, I'm just curious if its me or just my type of tube. Al
[signature]
Alan, Good question, I usually pump my toon up till there is no more creases but well before I stretch the seams, but I also dont know if thats enough or what.
[signature]
I've never seen a psi rating on a tube or toon, but most of them have the warning to not overinflate it. Great, what does that mean? Fill it up till it pops then let a little air out?

My toon came with an automatic inflation valve, and theoretically, it diverts air from the toon when it reaches the right pressure. I haven't popped either the tube or toon yet, but there's always a first time. Take your life jacket with you.
[signature]
I feel so much safer now. I always do have a life vest with me. That was all I found on the booklet with it is not to over inflate.
[signature]
If it makes you feel any better, I usually inflate mine a little more than I think I should. I'm not a little guy, and I like to have all the flotation I can get. I haven't popped anything yet, knock on wood.
Maybe after tubedude wakes up from his afternoon nap he'll chime in and give us a more definitive answer to your question.[Smile]
[signature]
I have a FishCat4. The rating is embeded in the bladder. It says 5psi max. Just remember that the cold water will cause some shrinkage and a need to reinflate your tube once you've let it sit on the water for about 5 minutes. After that it should be ok.[cool]
[signature]
I carry my inflation valve with me on the water. It's only about 12" long, and I'm not sure I have the dexterity to bend down to blow it up if need be, but I think that if I'm sinking, I'll find a way[Wink].
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Proper inflation is a big thing with flotation fishing. Too much air and you can rip out a seam. Too little and you do not get good performance on the water. But, as long as your air chamber (bladder, tube or whatever) is still inside the cover, there is very little likelihood of exploding it. A well made cover, with good seams, contains the pressure on the air chamber up to a much higher pressure...but not infinitely.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have never even tried to measure the PSI on an inflated tube or toon. Well, maybe back in the olden days, when I was using a donut with a truck tire inner tube inside. I do not remember what my maximum pressure ever was, but it was low. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Over the years, I have kinda gotten used to trusting my own judgment. I never travel with my craft fully inflated. First, they take up more space in my vehicle. Second, if they heat up in the vehicle, THEY CAN pop a seam if they expand beyond the fully inflated pressure.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When I get to the water, I pump up my craft just beyond the point where all the wrinkles are out and it feels firm to a good push anywhere on the craft. Some parts inflate faster than others, it seems. I use the pointed bow (stern) on my Fat Cat as the final test. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If it is already above 60 degree water temp (and/or air temp), that will usually get me by for the day. The air temp usually rises about 20 to 30 degrees on a sunny day without clouds and wind, so I usually do not have to worry about dropping the pressure later in the day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If (like when I lived in Arizona) the air temp is over 80 degrees at dawn launch, I know it is going to be HOT by the time I get out of the water to go home. I still air up my craft until it is good and firm, especially if the water temp is below 80 degrees. As the sun rises, and the temps go up too, I occasionally monitor the firmness of my craft. If it still yields a bit, when I push a finger against it, I keep fishing. If I chip a fingernail on the taut cover, I head for shore and bleed off a little air, until the right degree of firmness is achieved. It usually does not take much.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, unless you have easily accessible valves, it is easier to make a trip to shore. Some craft have the valves more conveniently located. Just don't go crazy and overdo it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The last scenario is common here in Utah. You hit the launch spot at daybreak, and the thermometer "slept in". It is still cold. And the water temp is below 60. In those cases, I air up my craft past the point of basic firmness when I first get to the water. Then, I check it again after I am all "dressed up" and before launching. If it is still good and tight, then I launch. If it has softened a bit, I top it off good and then launch. Seldom does it suffer any more temperature "sag" if you allow it to air cool from your vehicle temp before heading out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]During the times of the year when both water and air temps are likely to be low, it is not a bad idea to carry a small pump in your craft when you go afloat. If you do experience partial deflation...either from the cold or an newly developed pinhole leak...having the pump with you can save a long trip back to your vehicle. It can also add some fishing time, which is even more important.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]TubeN2 is kinda handy with the gadgets. He has rigged his 2-chamber craft up with a self regulating air pump system, that operates off his SLA sonar battery. Whenever the pressure in the two chambers becomes uneven, or drops below his designated pressure, the air pump quickly restores it to the norm. It is seldom needed, but good peace of mind to know it is there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Depending on the type of air chamber(s) and valve(s) you have on your craft, you may have the option of inflating your ride with lungpower alone. While you can achieve operable inflation with lung power alone, you will do much better by using a good air pump and adding some more pressure before going afloat. However, in an emergency (leak, etc.) you can keep yourself afloat long enough to get back to your vehicle by lungpower alone.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I always carry a length of the clear vinyl plastic tubing that is just the right size to fit my valves. On some of my past rides, I could use it to add air while out on the water. Most craft have their valves located where you just about have to get out to make adjustments. Of course, if you time your trip to shore to take care of a call of nature, then you don't have to waste a trip.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Well, that's ALL I have to say about that (Forrest Gump). Hope it was ENOUGH.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just play with it (the tube) this weekend and figure something out.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Careful. You can go blind you know.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Alan, I have the fish cat cougar ( toon ) it says to inflate to 3-4 psi., or without a air gauge, to press your thum into the pontoon ( moderate thum pressure ) untill about 1/2" give.
[signature]
Thank you. I'll get this thing yet.
[signature]
I Just pump mine up to where i float and that will keep me floatin for at least a weekend
[signature]