Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody fish the Derby @ Viva Naughton?
[size 1]Just wanted to find out how many of you caught fish @ the Derby?
I had my son and 4 other friends and we caught 3 fish all day! One was 10" (that is the one I caught), another 16" , and the Daddy was 21 7/8", and my buddy just missed the hourly by 1/4" [unsure]
I appriciate the input on what to use from all who responded. It is always fun to fish as to knot! We were not able to fish the 2nd day, so I wanted to find out how everybody did. Last I heard was that a 24" was in the lead on Saturday. [/size]

I guess I should have gone to the Gorge!!![crazy]
[signature]
A FRIEND AND I FISHED THE DERBY FOR THE 1ST TIME AND WE HAD A BALL. THE FIRST HALF HOUR WAS A STRUGGLE. WE FOUND THE FOOT AND A HALF SLUSH (MOSTLY WATER) RIGHT OFF THE BAT AND TRIED FOR THE NEXT FIVE HOURS TO GET DRY. NEITHER OF US HAD BEEN TO THE LAKE BEFORE SO WE PICKED A POINT AND SET UP CAMP. THE FIRST DAY WE CAUGHT AROUND 35 FISH MOST OF THEM WERE IN THE 12 INCH RANGE BUT FIVE WERE OVER 17 INCHES AND ONE WAS OVER 18 SO WE LEFT THE LAKE THE FIRST DAY VERY ENCOURAGED. THE SECOND DAY WAS QUITE A BIT SLOWER. AROUND 8:30 OR SO I WAS JIGGING AND HAD A FISH RIP MY POLE OUT OF MY HANDS, AFTER PICKING UP MY POLE AND REALIZING THAT I HAD JUST BLOWN IT I REELED UP TO FIND THAT THE FISH WAS STILL THERE. A FEW MINUTES LATER I ICED A 21 5/8 FAT RAINBOW WHICH WON ME A $100.00. MY BUDDY ICED ONE THAT WAS 19 3/4 LATER IN THE DAY BUT JUST NOT QUITE BIG ENOUGH. WE FINISHED UP THE SECOND DAY WITH 23 FISH. NOT A BAD OUTING AT ALL.
[signature]
It sounds like you had the ticket for Viva Naughton. We were on the far side of the lake. we moved around quite a bit on that side but it was just some of the slowest fishing I have had for years.
Where were you fishing? I am amazed that you caught so many fish. All the reports I was hearing was that it was as slow as it was for us. That gives me hope that it might be worth another trip sometime.
We were using mostly White Whatta Crickets tipped with crawler or waxies. The 1 fish that I caught was on a "Big Crappie Jig" (which is pretty small) in a silver color.
Well Thanks for the report!
[signature]
WE FISHED ABOUT A HALF MILE SOUTH OF THE MARINA. WE WERE FISHING IN ABOUT 30 FT OF WATER. I TOO TRIED WHATTA CRICKETS BOTH GREEN AND WHITE AND ONLY CAUGHT ONE FISH. THE THING WE FOUND IS THAT THERE WAS NO CERTAIN JIG THAT WORKED BETTER JUST AS LONG AS IT WAS FAIRLY SMALL AND WHITE. IF WE DIDNT GET ANY HITS ON A JIG IN A HALF HOUR WE SWITCHED AND USUALLY CAUGHT A COUPLE. THE LARGEST ONE I CAUGHT WAS ON A BLACK CRAPPIE JIG THAT ONLY GOT ONE HIT BUT IT WAS A GOOD ONE. SMALL WHITE MARIBOU JIGS WERE PROBABLY THE BEST. THE THING I HAVE NOTICED MOST WHILE ICE FISHING IS THAT PEOPLE STAND AROUND WATCHING THEIR POLES FROM FIVE FEET GLANCING AT IT EVERY SO OFTEN THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS THE BITE WAS SO LIGHT AND SO SHORT IF YOU WERE'NT READY IT WAS GONE. ANOTHER HELPFULL TOOL WE HAD WAS A VEXILAR SONAR SO ANY SUSPENDED FISH OR FISH UP ABOVE THE NORMAL FISHING AREA WE COULD REEL UP TO AND USUALLY CATCH. I CANT WAIT FOR ICE OFF AT THAT LAKE.
[signature]
I appriciate your info. You did good to find a good spot on your first trip.
By your name I assume you love Labs! My son has a 1-1/2 to 2 year old yellow lab that he is not able to keep in his home. I was just wondering if you knew anybody that would be interested.
If so I can give you more info.
Thanks!
[signature]