Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe trout
I fished Ririe from 8 until 3 today. I caught one kokanee and nine trout. Most of the trout are being caught up near the "Closed" signs south of the Juniper boat ramp. We are taking most of them from eight to 20 feet down. It will be very slow for about two hours and then you will get into them. Many times they are in 10 feet of water about 10 yards from the rock points. Windriver also had good fishing for trout today. He was on the east side and I was on the west side. Just before I left at 3 p.m. I caught three 16 inch fine-spotted cutts about a 100 yards off shore (50 feet deep) but caught them at 20 feet.
[signature]
BSFlies,

So that is where they are at! Thanks for the report and update on the trout at Ririe. I was beginning to wonder if I had lost track of my trout fishing senses on my last couple of trips to Ririe. Do the trout look to be i pretty good condition? By the way, I am sending a private message to you this evening.

Thanks again,
[signature]
What did you catch the trout with?
[signature]
I will just use BSflies segway into my report. I was fishing with my family off of the boat ramp at the crack of dawn. We did not have a single bite until 9:30 A.M. Then the Kokanee were everywhere and we caught around 20 in twenty minutes or so. Then they were gone as quickly as they had come. We decided that it would be pressing our luck to wait for the school to come back through so we headed out to the boundary where BSflies was fishing. We decided not to crowd BSflies so we went to the opposite shore from him on the East side. Like BSflies we set up in between 8 and 45 ft of water. We caught the fish closer to 8 feet earlier in the day and around 20 ft later in the day. The fish were beautiful in the 15"-16" size range. We actually landed 14 cutts and had that many again on the line at one time or another.

As the day progressed we figured out that the fish were keying in on white paddle bugs sometimes it took a bit of subtle jigging to get the fish to strike. Overall it was a wonderful day and I have a major sunburn to show for it. Good Luck Ya'll.

Windriver
[signature]
We could not get them to hit the white paddlebugs. We used orange or chartreuse ice flies and a swedish pimple or "swimming spoons." with a red or white tube jig tipped with bait 6 inches below that. The best bait seemed to be sucker meat.
[signature]
Thanks again for the update. bsflies also had a good article in the Idaho State Journal about Ririe last thursday.
[signature]
Ya I asked him why he did not submit a picture of my good lucking mug for that article. He said it was because I did not fish with him that day. I guess that makes sense[crazy], but I was stilled bummed.[Wink] It was a good article.

All of you who are lurking in the shadows. Take this invitation to come out of hiding and share some info with us. The more people we can get contributing and not just taking from the site the more fun this community will be.

Windriver
[signature]
Does anyone know where to get a hold of the Idaho state journal. I would like to read that article. Aslo does anyone know of what kind of condition the ice on ririe is with all of the warm weather this week?
[signature]
Fight4not and others,

here is a link to the article which you can read from my forum

[url "http://idahotrouttalk.mywowbb.com/forum5/15.html"]http://idahotrouttalk.mywowbb.com/forum5/15.html[/url]
[signature]
I tried to follow your link but it came out quite dark for some reason. Here is the web address just copy and paste and it should take you directly to the site.

[url "http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2005/02/24/features/outdoors/outdoors04.txt"]http://www.journalnet.com/articles/2005/02/24/features/outdoors/outdoors04.txt[/url]

Windriver
I am also interested in knowing what the ice conditions are. I am planning on doing some fishing at Ririe tomorrow I am just not sure what time yet.
[signature]
Thanks OldJigHead for that website. It was good to read that article.

-Fight4not
[signature]