Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine report 2-26
Decided to hit the pig yesterday morning....needless to say, it has been living up to its' reputation as of late. I iced one Koke and 2 small (6") bows. My buddy iced a couple of small bows as well. We started out in 100 feet of water, and then worked our way into about 30 feet. The rainbows came to visit in the shallower water. Ice is about 18" thick, but the edges are getting soft. Somone was nice enough to have a ladder across the edge. You can now drive up to the top of the dam if you want...4X4 only though. We never saw anyone else ice any fish, and the guys we talked to were seeing a few fish, but couldn't get any strikes. The pig is up out of the the inversion, and the temps were nearly 10 degrees warmer than the valley floor, so if the warmer weather keeps up, the edges will become very soft as the water level rises. At least the weather was nice, even if the fishies didn't want to cooperate.
[signature]
Killer, when did you get there and how long did you fish? I was there from about 1:00 until 4:45 PM. We did not see one fish caught and only had one hit. We talked to some that had caught a few earlier in the day. Last monday, a guy I work with got there between 2:30 and 3:00 PM he caught 6 kokes and one trout. He was only there until about 5:30 PM.
[signature]
Thanks for the report I wish I could have made it back up there one more time. It sound like you had the same luck I had last month up there. I have found that Kokanee bite more in the afternoon than in the morning, so I usually try to hook up with them later in the day.
[signature]
We were there from about 0630 till 1030. Maybe the afternoon is a little better for the kokes...haven't figured it out quite yet. I might try one more time, but that will depend on how the weather holds out.
[signature]
We made it up there at about the same time as you guys. I saw your BFT sticker, but you guys had already left to walk out on the ice when we got there. We were the ones with the stupid snowmobile that we couldn't get started. We fished up higher. We iced 5 fish between 3 of us. Two were 15 inchers and the rest were small. I did have a lot of fish come through, and a lot of them were suspended. All fish caught were rainbows. I feel that it is crucial to have a real time fish finder while fishing at Porcupine. Caddfly, who didn't mess around with the sled and just went fishing, did very good in the early morning. He said the bite was nonstop for the first hour. He iced two and missed a bunch more that first hour but then it died. I think the fish gods must have cursed him when he dropped my metal scoop down the hole. LOL. Anyways, the pig has some good ones, just few and far between.

BMURR
[signature]
I did see you guys. I was wondering how long it took you to fight that sled! I even told my buddy that I hoped the same thing didn't happen to the sled when you got way out on the ice! I noticed you guys met Caddfly and then headed back further towards the inlet. Did you see many fish towards the back? We were the 2 over close to the spillway. Too bad the fishing wasn't very good for you guys. Oh well, sure beats work!
[signature]
It was a first time for me at the Pork and I was thinking, "What is everyone saying? I'm getting hits like crazy!!" Then BMURR had to come over and bring his bad luck with him. All in all, not too bad of a day and beautiful weather. My sunglass tan lines are looking SWEET!

Brady, what became of your future fishing possibilities this year? lol

CADDFLY
[signature]