Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Tips
[size 2]My wife & I have been to Causey,East Canyon.
We've been out of ice fishing & summer fishing for 7 years due to my wife's health problems.
We've had no luck at all, not even a bit. I've asked people around us what there using and how deep there going, But no one will really tell us what to do or use. I guess it a secret. I've bought everything I was told works that a gentleman told us at Sportsman Warehouse & still no fish.We really like East Canyon & Casey.
Any info would really help as we both love fish for dinner.
If anybody is going to East Canyon or Causey we would be glad to go with you.[/size]
[signature]
Welcome to the forum.

Boy now thats quite a dry spell!

I dont know of a single trout lake that the standard ol'e marshmellow and crawler wont work during open water season.. Beyond that you can tack on a couple Ball o Fire Salmon eggs to sweeten the pot. While its ice capped a lot of folk simply loose the mellow and have decent results.
When all else fails, go straight back to the basics. I'm not a huge fan of "Power Bait" but I know it works on Bow and Cutties.. Ya might try smearing the power bait on a mellow, it floats up better and longer..

Good luck..
[signature]
The biggest thing that gets you into the fish, is a fish finder. Without one, you can still catch fish, but with one you will know what depth the fish are at and if there are any fish in the area you are fishing at.
If you read some of the posts from others that have fished the waters you are talking about, you will get a basic idea of what depth the fish are at on a given day.
When I fished at Causey without a finder, I watched everyone else catching fish but me. A kind man saw my lack of action and he set me up. He had a finder and told me the depth to drop my line to, say 15'. I then counted how many feet of line that I would drop down by pulling 3' of line off at a time and dropping it into the water until I got to 15'. Then to my surprise I started to catch the splake.
I found out later that day, that the man that helped me was a BFT member and from then on, so was I. DKS
[signature]
I know that it is a little more out of the way than Causey or East Canyon, but if you want easy fish I would try Current Creek any time from mid-May through the first week of June. Your wife should have easy access and the fishing can be very fast. I suggest anywhere along the west shore. I've found that for worm and mallow work better here than power bait and if you want to chuck some lures a silver jake spin-a-lure works great even from shore. You'll catch 95% cutts between 11" and 16." Great eating fish!! This is the perfect spot for taking kids that might have a short attention and the pressure is light. Most people don't want to drive past Strawberry to fish a lake with smaller fish. In addition, you're looking at about 20 miles on a dirt road (with small sections of pavement), BUT the dirt road isn't that bad.
[signature]
Thanks for your help. I took your advice then headed to E.Canyon.
We was there for about 20 min. and the first fish my wife got was a 17" Rainbow. Made her day.I missed a few, Just wasn't on the ball.
Were going back up today to get the ones that got away. [Wink]
[signature]