Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Bay
Hey Willard hardcore locals, I have a question or two about the map. Could you tell me if there are actually sunken trees off the lightpole?

What is this "Humps" and "Bumps"? What's the description of the bottom of those locales? Also what is this "Drop"? Like a shelf drop off?

Thank you for the clarification.
[signature]
Hey Paul, I'm not sure who put some of those things on the map or what they had in mind. There are sunken trees south of the Light pole but there isn't much left of them, mainly sticks, with cable wrapped around them. In the area labeled Drop, there is an incline were the shore line comes up but nothing I would call a drop. I have never seen the humps that are listed on the map, maybe one of the other guys might know what that means. There is an irregular area along the spot that is indicated on the map that I guess could be called Bumps. That area has been shallow the last couple of years so I haven't fished it much. I hope this info helps. WH2
[signature]
I don't know if it's trees or some other kind of structure, over by the light pole, but every time I've hooked into them trolling, I've had to tie on new hardware. You don't even have to try very hard to connect. Somehow it just happens!?!
[signature]
I'll agree with you there! That spot eats lures like none I've ever seen. If you get hung up there you may as well break it off and don't put back in for about 50 yards. I've caught fish around it though....
[signature]
Thanks WH2 for the very valuable information. All those irregularities are very important for my walleye knowledge. I think with what you just shared, some real deep secrets came to light which I will definitely utilitize on my next trip to Willard.

You do know walleyes love to hunker down close to the bottom and they love irregularities. Go figure...[Wink]

However I am just not too sure how wipers uses those irregularities since they swim all over in all water columns...
[signature]
I have had the same disappointing experience. The reason we keep losing hardware in that corner of willard bay is the artifical structures that some of the bass clubs put in years ago. I think they are made of old tires, concrete, and cable and when you find one they are very greedy about giving your tackle back to you. Gshorthair
[signature]
Ummmmm might be a good time to go scuba diving and collect all those good lures. I'll bet you there's quite a few producers stuck on those hardware down there...[Tongue][Wink] Anybody care to go hardware shopping down there?
[signature]
I have donated my share of expensive lures to that same area, and like the others have stated I can't remember getting any free once they were snagged. Not too concerned about losing a few Producers, but I would be thrilled to get back some of those Rapalas. It gets your heart pumping for a few seconds when you are fast trolling and the rod doubles over, until you realize you are just snagged. Because that area often holds active fish it is too tempting to avoid going back and getting snagged again and again.
[signature]
Have you tried to look through the water in Willard??? Its called black water diving.
[signature]
Paul, I lost that map when my computor crashed, Could you email it to me?
tfscj@yahoo.com
[signature]
The last couple of years, with the low water level, those old trees have come come out of the water, at least the tips have. That is why I know they are old christmas trees wrapped in cable. The water level never went low enough to see the entire trees but there are several of them in a row. The first year the water level dropped, I waded out to the trees. I did not find any lures around them but I was just checking the tops, there could be a ton of lures at the base of the trees. One thing for sure, you would be lucky to see a foot away, in that murky water. WH2
[signature]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=8567;"]WILLARD BAY MAP[/url]

Just right click it and then print it off.
[signature]
Paul, when I was fishing the West dike on Friday I found there are indeed Humps along the Dike. I'll send you a PM with some more info. WH2
[signature]
Thanks WH2 for the confirmation of the humps. Well as far as fish goes, the Lips have lockjaws.[Wink][Wink][Wink]
[signature]