Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody fished Yuba lately?
[cool]There's not any more ice on it is there? I've been thinking of going down there in my tube and catching some of those fiesty, fat, football shaped 20 inch bows that are in there. Those things should be 4-5 pounds by this fall, which will keep us busy til they put Walleye back in there!
[signature]
I went out there on monday and couldn't buy a bite. Not even a nibble. The lake was ice free as of then. Maybe with a boat you could find some schools, but I fished by the dam and couldn't even get a nibble out of the fish,
jed
[signature]
I have been there 4 times this year and not a bite! They obiviously moved to the painted rocks side.And by the way they have the painted rocks side closed![pirate] But at least the water is getting high.Still it has a way to go but it does look encouraging.
[signature]
where does the water come in and how do you get there? I tried to find it last time when I was there, but I ended up in the middle of nowhere and I don't think I was even close to the inlet,
jed
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 1]"I think it is about a half mile further south from the Painted Rocks road that you will see a road going east toward the lake/river."[/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1][/size][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][size 1]Pat, I think you meant to type west not "east"?[/size][/#0000ff]

[#ff0000](Thanks Kent. Got it.)[/#ff0000]
[signature]
Ahhhhhh... this talk of dirt road brings back memories...

I don't know anything about Fayette, but if this is the same road, please let me know....

Ok when you go to the I-15 Yuba access, you just go to Yuba itself, and you will get on the straight road (straight down to the dam), then you will see some kind of a small shack, before the shack is a dirt road. You get on it and drive all the way around to the fence in the road, then you gotta open it, then drive onto a asphalt road, go right (*Close that fence!*) a mile or two to the Painted Rock access road. You're there. This is what I do if I wanted to fish either side of Yuba- Painted rocks or the Dam.

To answer your question about where the inlet is... it is on the south side of Painted Rock, it is called the Upper Sevier River. This river is suspected to hold walleyes during the draw-down.

Tube Dude- want a reality check? The trout may be up the stream laying eggs and eating em, BUT the walleyes are actually eating up the trout... LMAO
[signature]
I went by there last thursday and the water levels look about 3-4 ft above where they were last year at the max. The local water guys are saying it should peak out at about 80-85% of full pool if we don't loose a lot to evaporation during March. The water should be high enough for painted rocks to be open.

Last year at in late march I found the slimers holding over the deepest spots in the lake and the river channel at about 20 ft depths and not biting. I plan to get the boat out one evening and do a little exploring if I can get the time but it will probably be next week before I can.
[signature]
Why oh why are so many people interested in fishing and using this puddle? Could it be that it was once a famed fishing hole and favorite recreational water spot. With all the attention that this little puddle has received over the years, closing of beaches, wild parties, excellent perch and walleye along with some giant northerns, one would think that we the people would have had a gut full of the bureaucracy that has turned this puddle from a public friendly useable recreation site into a little puddle that has created hate and discontent among even the most tolerant of people. The bureaucracy has hated this place, the public luved it and thus, the bureaucracy started closing the beaches and lake shores to anyone who wanted to enjoy this fine puddle all in the name of public saftey. Now the public has some bad feelings towards this once famed puddle, the same bureaucracy that destroyed what it once was, wants us to luv it once again. What's wrong with this picture????? I know that I have started a lot of hair pulling and that is what I wanted to do. I have been going to this puddle since I was in diapers. I remember launching on the gravel at painted rocks. I remember all the hard work that a sportsmans organization went into getting a cement ramp at the Painted Rocks. The bureaucracy took this site over and made it into a state park. Improvement is good. in fact imoprovement is great, is this improvement great or good? The ramp is closed and we the people can't use the same ramp that was built by we the people. I know that the ramp was closed last fall because of hazards and low water. The water is up to the ramp and yet the bureaucracy won't allow we the people to use it, thus turning a 15 or 20 mile drive into a 65 mile drive. With the price of gas and all, why does the bureaucracy steal this resource from we the people????? Sorry for the rant but it is really #%&*@@* me off! responses requested!!!!!!!!
[signature]
That is a good question - Why is Painted Rocks closed if the water is high enough? I have never used PR - is there a fee for using the ramp?
[signature]
Megalon, Yes it is a fee area. The state park runs the whole gamut of Yuba. I wouldn't jump to conclusion just yet... because Yuba is not slated for closure by the state, and the water level was too low to open the Painted Rocks, but I have a feeling once the water level has been established, they will reopen that area. State isn't that stupid because a lot of revenues comes out of both dam and painted rock. I'm sure it was closed due to liability issues with shallowness and boat safety.
[signature]
I was there 2 weeks ago coming back from nomooses pike party and it ticked me off that i had to drive all the way around![mad] They have made it nicer there i have to say but they should let us use it!
[signature]
sorry for the long interum in the reply. Leona is doing well. our little guy is a kicker though and she is starting to get to the "get this guy out of me phase" (we still have 6 weeks left though). I am both excited and scared to death. We will have to see how things go,
jed
[signature]