Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fact or Fiction?
I read this article this morning and wondered how you "bass experts" view this story? Is this possible/probably??

[black][size 5]Report of 22-pound bass caught at Clear Lake[/size][/black]

By Terry Knight -- Record-Bee outdoors writer
LAKE COUNTY -- The Record-Bee received an unconfirmed report late Tuesday afternoon that a 22-pound, 7-ounce largemouth bass was caught on Clear Lake by an angler prefishing for the FLW EverStart tournament that is scheduled to start today.
If the report turns out to be true, the fish will set a new world record and shatter the existing Clear Lake record of 17.52 pounds.
The current world record for largemouth bass is 22 pounds, 4 ounces. That fish was caught by George W. Perry back in 1932 at Montgomery Lake in Georgia. To be certified as a world record and meet the International Game Fish Association standards, the fish allegedly caught on Clear Lake must be weighed on a certified scale, the big fish must be witnessed by at least two other people, and the fish must be certified as the correct species (largemouth bass) by a representative of the Department of Fish and Game.
A check with DFG game warden Lynette Reynolds on Tuesday evening revealed that she had not been contacted by anyone to certify the bass. Attempts by the Record-Bee to obtain the angler's name also were unsuccessful.
If a fisherman were to catch a world record largemouth bass, either on Clear Lake or anywhere else, the fish could be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in endorsement money alone from the likes of tackle manufacturers.
In fact, one tackle manufacturer has offered $1 million to the fisherman who catches a world record if the fish was caught on a fishing rod made by that manufacturer.
Lake County would also receive a tremendous amount of publicity if a world record fish was caught at Clear Lake.
There have been false reports in the past, however. Within the past two years there were two occasions when fishermen claimed they had caught a world record bass out of Spring Lake in Santa Rosa. Both fish were disqualified because the proper procedures weren't followed to certify the fish.
The Clear Lake record of 17.52 pounds was established in 1990 by Jerry Basgal of Clearlake Oaks. Two years later commercial fishermen operating at the lake reported catching and releasing a 25-pound bass.
[signature]
YES it is if it is true WOW.
[signature]
Definitely possible out of Cali but Clear Lake?? I don't know about that. I lived in Cali and read in the papers about some large catches but Clear Lake, while having the potential for big fish, never seems to have that size coming out. Even Skeet Reese on tv didn't seem too confident about a world record coming out of his home lake. He seemed to think it would come out of Castaic or one of the other lakes in the south or even out of Mexico. Course, 17 lbs is a big fish.... If its true, thats great cause it will pull some fishermen out of the Delta and off some of the more obvious big fish lakes further south. I wonder what it was caught on?? It would be rather funny if it was something simple like a JNP or just a spinnerbait and not one of the specialized "planter" size swimbaits. [sly] All that money spent on those things, just to have a world record caught on ol' reliable. Ha!! makes me chuckle just sitting here. Guess when they get done running lead and rock checks on the belly, then we'll see. Its a little early for April fools so that can't be it... hmmm.
[signature]
I guess it turned out to be a fish story!!

[url "http://www.record-bee.com/Stories/0%2C1413%2C255~26902~2754785%2C00.html"]http://www.record-bee.com/Stories/0%2C1413%2C255~26902~2754785%2C00.html[/url]
[signature]
Hi RiverRat77, interesting article if in fact it is true. I recall reading a similar article written in a national fisherman's club magazine a couple of years ago. That fish was caught out of Clear Lake and was reported to be in the world record weight bracket. I think the fish was measured and weighed at the concession stand, but all of the regulations for certification were not in place. The scale had not been calibrated recently, there were no game wardens present, etc. If I were to guess, these bass are probably Florida strain largemouths and are fed with "put and take" trout. Prior to moving to Utah I lived in San Diego and fished those lakes and reservoirs on a regular basis. Every one of those bodies of water had a lake record of at least 17lbs, with several of them topping the 20lb mark. In reference to your comment on lead weights, in the late 1980's a women who worked at Lake Miramar caught a 22lb fish which had the bass community abuzz ; however, her taxidermist found a 2-1/2lb divers weight in its abdomen! Needless to say her record has an asterisk beside it! The fish is actually on a mount (with the weight) in the concession stand. Someone will break the record one of these days and with some smart planning he/she will be able to quit their day job and have plenty of time to fish! Yeah those swimbaits are expensive and I wonder if they are effective anymore, once those big bass have seen a lure, they just snub their nose at them....Have a [Smile] day.
[signature]