Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Baitcasting Reel Question
[size 3][font "Times New Roman"]This is just another one of those posts asking for advice about fishing reels[pirate].
I plan on using the reel mostly for trout and bass in the 2lb-5lb range but would use it for larger fish on occasion. I’ll mostly be using lures in the 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz range and use 12lb or 14lb mono and possible switch to braided line latter.

Like most people that grew up in Idaho trout fishing I use a fly reel or a spinning reel much more often than a bait caster. I’ve used a cheap Shakespeare baitcasting reel for about ten years and feel rather comfortable casting it. I also have a Penn 330 GTI but feel like it is a little too much for a 2lb trout and 1/2 oz lures [Wink].

I’m looking at buying Cabelas Prodigy ($99.99) but would consider spending an extra $30 for the Pflueger President. I have been very pleased with my Shimano spinning reels so I’m also considering the Shimano Curado SF ($150) or Shimano Castiac SF ($160). Just like everyone else I’m looking for the most bang for my buck. Cabelas makes their Prodigy sound like it is comparable to the other reels I have listed but it would be great if some of you that have used this reel could share your opinion. With Cabelas “fish free for 60” offer on the prodigy I could always change my mind if I’m not happy with it but I would rather not waste my time if it isn't a very good reel. Plueger’s President seems like a great buy but I’m not sure if it is any better than the Prodigy and not sure how much abuse it can take. A Shimano would be my first choice but I would rather spend an extra $50 on other fishing stuff. I already know that I’m not going to be spend much more than $150 on the reel but I have open ears if any of you have other models that you would like to suggest.

I was also looking at the Cabelas XML rod to go with it. If any of you have any experience with the Cabelas fish eagle II or Cabelas TXS rods I would like your opinion on the feel, durability and value of the Cabelas rods.
Do any of you see any large diSadvantage in the 2 piece baitcasting rod vs the 1 piece rods.

I plane on making a purchase in a couple days and will let you know what I decide.

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions. [/font][/size]
[signature]
I have many 2 piece rods and now a couple of 3 piecers (fly rods). what do i fish with? A one piece is my personal go to now. I will probbably never go back to 2 piece rods for non fly fishing. If you have room to pack the single blank do so. Not that I think they are better. But it eliminates possible hazards and problems as the rod ages. That and I have never been able to get the feel from a 2 piece that I have gotten from a single.

Bait casting I have NO experence to speak of. But Cabelas offers a free test drive of all their branded fishing rods and reels. So if you choose one of theirs and don't like the feel, action, retrive, or whatever your out nothing. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on whatever you decide to buy. BTW I bought my last rod at Glayans, med butt fast tip IM7, what a sweet rod it is.
[signature]
In a nutshell...I have several Shimano's....much better than the Cabella's...less problems and lasts longer.

Baitcasting...go with a one piece rod if you're planning on casting a lot of lures.

Two piece rods...under heavy use tend to separate.
[signature]