Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another baitcasting reel ?
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
This is just another one of those posts asking for advice about fishing reels[pirate].
I plan on using the reel mostly for trout and bass in the 2lb-5lb range but would use it for larger fish on occasion. I’ll mostly be using lures in the 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz range and use 12lb or 14lb mono and possible switch to braided line latter.

Like most people that grew up in Idaho trout fishing I use a fly reel or a spinning reel much more often than a bait caster. I’ve used a cheap Shakespeare baitcasting reel for about ten years and feel rather comfortable casting it. I also have a Penn 330 GTI but feel like it is a little too much for a 2lb trout and 1/2 oz lures [Wink].

I’m looking at buying Cabelas Prodigy ($99.99) but would consider spending an extra $30 for the Pflueger President. I have been very pleased with my Shimano spinning reels so I’m also considering the Shimano Curado SF ($150) or Shimano Castiac SF ($160). Just like everyone else I’m looking for the most bang for my buck. Cabelas makes their Prodigy sound like it is comparable to the other reels I have listed but it would be great if some of you that have used this reel could share your opinion. With Cabelas “fish free for 60” offer on the prodigy I could always change my mind if I’m not happy with it but I would rather not waste my time if it isn't a very good reel. Plueger’s President seems like a great buy but I’m not sure if it is any better than the Prodigy and not sure how much abuse it can take. A Shimano would be my first choice but I would rather spend an extra $50 on other fishing stuff. I already know that I’m not going to be spend much more than $150 on the reel but I have open ears if any of you have other models that you would like to suggest.

I was also looking at the Cabelas XML rod to go with it. If any of you have any experience with the Cabelas fish eagle II or Cabelas TXS rods I would like your opinion on the feel, durability and value of the Cabelas rods.
Do any of you see any large diSadvantage in the 2 piece baitcasting rod vs the 1 piece rods.

I plane on making a purchase in a couple days and will let you know what I decide.

Thanks in advance for any of your opinions.
[signature]
While we're asking about baitcasters... any suggestions for Muskie? I've got the rod, just need the reel. Thanks everybody!
[signature]
The Shimano Castaic would be my personal choice. I have 2 of them and they are well worth the money.

A 1 piece rod is better than a 2 piece as far as action, casting, flipping and pitching goes. Sometimes a 2 piece is preferrable if it a matter of space in a small car.

XML series rods are quite fine. They are made on Shimano blanks.[cool]
[signature]
Shimano 200 series levelwind baitcaster would be my first choice for those toothy little critters. Perhaps a 6inch 25lb steel leader might be in order as well.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][font "Poor Richard"][#005000][size 4]Hey there BrianID I have to agree with TubeN2 as to his choice of a Shimano. I was essentially in the same position as you and a year or two ago bought the Shimano CU200BSF reel and a 6½' one piece Shimano model #VCA66ML casting rod. It makes for a real nice setup. The rod is rated for 12 to 17 test and 1/8 -3/8oz lures. Not really an inexpensive purchase for while I got the rod at 50% off, rod and reel still ran about $260. However, this combo should last me a life time. By the way in SOCAL that would equate to a few tank loads of gas. LOL[Tongue][/size][/#005000][/font]
[signature]