Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Brook Trout experts out there?
I am curious what lures work best to get the brookies to bite.

I was at a spot couple days ago where a 22 inch brookie was caught on a spoon and I plan to hit it again today to try and get them to bite.

I have a feeling this spot holds a new state record.

I plan to hit it this afternoon so if anyone would like to join me drop me a PM as I am flying solo.
[signature]
CBR,

I do not claim to be an expert on brook trout, but I have caught my share - mostly on flies at Henrys Lake in Idaho. If I were you and knew where the state record is, I would continue flying solo!!!!!!

My experience tells me that they like bright things and they are really an early morning feeder especially in lakes. At Henrys we catch most of our brook trout from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. meaning that most fishermen miss the brook trout bite.

Good Luck and keep trying - I too am looking for a state record brookie.
[signature]
Good to know. I usually do fish it solo but this place tends to be slow fishing most of the time so company is sometimes a good thing. Smile

Thanks for the advice.
[signature]
while bow hunting the high uintas utwalleye schooled me with a small bronze cast master. this was in the lakes of course. on steams nothing beats a peace of crawler for brooks. the retrieve he used was to cast out count till about ten then pump the lure in. lift drop on tight line. good luck cant wait to see your pics. 22 inch brooks that even get a walleye guys blood up!!!!
[signature]
I've caught hundreds and hundreds of brookies in the High Uintahs. Up there the growing season between ice-out and ice-up again is so short that they'll hit just about anything, but some things more than others. I caught some off of bare hooks in tiny streams.

The best for me was size 0 Mepps or Blue Fox spinners in silver or gold. Just about any spinner would work, especially in streams, but the lakes sometimes a mosquito pattern or small dark nymphs worked better.

Good luck to you!
[signature]
When I lived in Vegas I fished for Brookies in the Boulder Mountain lakes quite often. A gold Castmaster worked great, but a gold Z-Ray with red spots worked even better. Small 1/16 or 1/8 oz worked best on both large and small fish. Occasionally silver was better then gold. An erratic jerky retrieve was practically a requirement. If the fish were out in the middle of the lake and out of casting range for lite lures, I'd put a clear bobber full of water above a swivel, add a 4 foot leader, and tie on a dark Pistol Pete with a silver properler.
[signature]
I like the Panther-Martin spinners for brooks. Black / gold ones in the fall, and silver / red in spring & summer.
Let us know how you do!
Good luck -
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips. I flipped several patterns of mepps, vibrax, and panther martin spinners yesterday with no luck for brookies, but I believe it was a timing issue. I will give the early morning bite a whack.

I did catch 5 good sized cutts while at it though. Smile
[signature]
Hey, that's great! Sounds fun too. I'm about ready to get out into some open, running water myself!
[signature]
I tried again from 6AM - 10AM Saturday morning and only landed 3 cutts, no brookies. Must be in hiding.
[signature]
[reply]I like the Panther-Martin spinners for brooks. Black / gold ones in the fall, and silver / red in spring & summer.
Let us know how you do!
Good luck -[/reply]

I seconded UnitaIce's statement. I've caught hundreds and hundreds of brookies up in Payson mountians while float tubing the small lakes. I use #1 and #2 Panther Martin spinners in the same color Unita said. They like small spinners as you know their mouth is rather small and delicate.

Sometimes spinners with treble hooks will tear up their lips which kinda takes the fun out of C&R. But fortunately you can keep up to 8 (I think, it's been a while since I've been up there) if their lips are too damaged to survive) But spinners are deadly and you will have a field day with them.

There's really no timing to it, just steady consistent reeling just enough to feel your line spinning, which is all there is to it.

4 to 6 pound line is sufficent on a ultra light spinning ugly stick does the job efficently.
[signature]
Try using a 1/8 ounce black maribou jig fished closely around cover or casting from shore. Little Dell has some big brookies in it, but I doubt the state record lives there. The brookies in Little Dell don't seem to put on the weight that your typical Boulder Mountain brook trout does. Retrieve the jig in slowly so that it bounces near the bottom with a jigging motion...brook trout seem to find maribou jigs dang near irrisistible at certain times.
[signature]
I fished brookies up in Idaho years ago. Used to have 30 fish days on the Big Lost. If it were me, I'd keep on chucking blue fox's and panther martin's. My favorite patterns for them are #3 silver, #3 copper, and #2 brown trout patern for the blue fox. For the panter martins I really like the bumble bee pattern. Also, I'd recomend using Vanish or any other fleurocarbon line. If the brookies can't see the line they'll bite that much better.
[signature]
Thanks for all the tips. I will keep at it. Persistence is the key. Wink
[signature]
Thanks for all of the advice.

I went after them yesterday evening from 5-7 PM and pickup up 2 brookies and 1 cutt on an aglia long spinner.

First brookie was just short of 16 inches, not really that fat but was a great fight, and one was 9-10 inches.

The cutthroat had some issues. It was very skinny, about 20 inches long and looked just like a pike from afar. I gave him a weight and he was just over a pound and 20 inches. Insane looking fish but looked healthy. Just deformed.
[signature]