Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Openwater Cutthroats
Just wanted to share a couple nice action photos from yesterday.

[Image: IMGP1174.sized.jpg]

[Image: IMGP1172.sized.jpg]
[signature]
Craig, good looking cutts -- no brookies?
[signature]
Nope. But I will have a whack at them again all next week.

I think it is a timing issue, I think i need to try an early morning bite for these monsters.
[signature]
[cool]Those are some nice, healthy looking Cut's you got there, Craig. I'm jelous that I couldn't make it out this time. Can't wait to get up there soon and chase some Brookies too!
[signature]
I don't know if it is in general, but from my experience with Brookies, they will take a spinner or a worm faster than a crankbait. The good ol' mepps aglia with the red ring on the brass. We have been practicing on them at Paradise over here on the South Slope of the Uintas. We have found that the silver super duper (I think the spelling is a bit different) with the red spots, and the Panther in yellow with the red spots or in the silver and black with the red spots along with the mepps have produced the best bite so far. The new Mepps in the Rainbow pattern is doing OK too. The Brookies up there aren't very big. A 15 incher is big, and a 20 incher is unheard of. Where it is above 8000', they stay out in the shallows along the rocky points almost all day.

The other hot Brookie spot out here is the Uintah River above Neola. There are thousands of those little guys in that river. I usually catch about 10 to 1 Brookies over the other 4 or 5 species of trout in that water. 20-40 fish a day on average. Most of the fish caught are 8" or under, but if you a persistant, you can find 3 or 4 12+ inchers for the frying pan.

I'm told that the right time of year that good Brookies. I mean 4lb.+ Brookies can be found under Moon Lake in the Yellowstone area, but all I've caught up there are 15-20 inch Browns and 9-12 inch Rainbows.

Good luck with the big ol' Brookies in the big water. I would love to see a 5lb. Brookie!
[signature]