Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to eat a Carp
I want to try to eat Carp this year and had a couple questions:

1. What body of water in the Northern Utah area would have the cleanest carp?

2. Does anybody have any good recipes?

Bob
[signature]
I would guess Deer Creek Reservoir would have clean carp.
[signature]
You're either brave or crazy, or maybe both. If you want clean carp, I might suggest Locomotive Springs. The water in the ponds is quite fresh, and at the north ends is very clear and "clean" looking.

As far as recipes, you can get you a nice slab of aromatic ceder, fillet the carp, slap the fillets on the board. Cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour, and remove from the oven. Take the carp off of the cedar, and then proceed to eat the cedar![Tongue] Sorry dude the only good recipe I have for carp is to feed them to the plants in the garden.
[signature]
try deer creek or pineview. don't forget to cut out the brown an all the bones, try barque.
[signature]
Any carp you catch here in Utah has to be better than the ones I ate in Mexico. They would stand in the street selling huge carp. Needless to say, I got to eat one. Actually it wasn't too bad.

tuber
[signature]
Howdy BobFrapples,
TubeN2 has some carp recipes over on his recipe board. I've never tried carp before but some folks say it can be pretty good.Take a look: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=118153;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=118153;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
[cool]I've heard that Flaming Gorge has some monster Carp, and the water there is pretty clear, too.
[signature]
I have to say you may be a little nuts! But there is a fairly large population of carp at Bear Lake. It doesn't get much cleaner or crearer than that. Let us know how it goes.

J.
(GoFish)[Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for all the replys. Now all I need is some time to go catch 'em. I will post a full report after I do the deed (if I'm still alive).

Bob

P.S. Where are they at up at the Gorge. I am headed up there for a few days toward the end of April, then maybe I could get my Father-in-law to try some too.
[signature]
You, the funny part of this whole discussion is that no matter what wonderful clean water the carp live in, they still are mud suckers. Every lake has mud and muck on the bottom and that's what carp eat. So, good luck to you for wanting to see if mud sucking fish can taste good. All I remember as a kid was when I cut them open and found all the slimmy muck inside, it was immeadiatley obvious I didn't want any part of that carp in my mouth. You are about to put something in your mouth that I don't like in my hand. Good Luck
[signature]
chinook your full of it, I though you was a fisherman but a true fisherman would not say that carp are mud suckers, for one thing carp is the most popular fresh water fish in the world, an if you haven't tried it don't bitch. I have seen people lose a lot of money over the taste of carp in a tasting match up carp are in some places called fresh water halabut an in the past the carp in Utah lake have been netted for sell as such. All you have to do is get the mud line an the bones out an you have a fair fish.[Wink][cool][Wink]
P.S. they eat things like bugs and moss depending on the carp, or class of carp it is in.
[signature]
Bassrods sums it up. And what is wrong with having mud on your hands? Does it ruin your manicure?
[signature]
Kraft's and Mrs. Paul (fish sticks) offer up the cleanest carp in the stores throughout...
[signature]
Interesting,
I wasn't going to bite, I wasn't, I wasn't. Oh well, lets try this. [sly] I want one, I repeat, one person that (1) enjoys eating fish, (2) has caught a large carp from fresh water, (3) removed the troublesome bones, (4) Cooked it in a commonly accepted cooking fashion after properly cleaned ---------- post up and tell us that it wasn't good! This is a challenge to get rid of the "yak, yak" with little/no basis.[mad] By golly, if this post has run it's course, maybe I'll post this as a new thread. I'm hot! I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds moderators. If so, edit or delite as you see fit.
For what it's worth, maybe 2cents?, I've eaten em and find them very good, but as you see my criteria is fresh water, which there are many, and large, for easier bone removal. I also find steaming the fillet of a large carp makes it easier to remove since they have a bone similar to a pike along their back only worse. You can cut em out but you lose a lot of meat. I normally get mine bow fishing at the Gorge in between catching smallies.
Leaky[Smile]
Thanks Tube,
Still waiting for someone to respond to my challenge![mad]
Next subject - Our mountain white fish. [shocked] Same prejudices![mad]
I guess I'm on a kick - But, ya know, let's get real, and since when is good/unbiased info. bad? Sorry -----------------, if this post is overboard! I guess this is my time for venting. There's a lot of subjects to vent on that's more important, huh? Do we need a vent forum?
Leaky[Smile]
Hey Chinook, hate to pop your bubble guy, but we don't have any *mud* carp in Utah. LOL All our carp (as far as I know) are grass carp. They eat the grass and algee in the lakes and rivers.

The next time you buy processed fish at the store, look and see whats really in it. Carp is in almost all processed fish.
[signature]
I think your just slightly mistaken. Carp do not eat mud. There is no dietary value in mud. I'm sorry but no living creature on this green earth can live on just mud.
Carp do eat water plants, algea, larva, their own minnows, ect. Any wonders why Utah lake is so muddy? The carp stir up the mud while their foriging for the roots of water plants. If the water plants were there, you'd have a clean lake. Thats also why pretty well all industrial ponds have grass carp in them. They eat massive amounts of moss each day. They are very efficent at what they do.
What you saw in your carp's bowls is the same thing you'd see in a trouts, cat fishes, perch's, and every other fish out there. You see, there are these compounds in every living things stomach called Stomach Acid. It is used to break down their food. By golly you've got it in you, too! This compound has a habit of changing their typical diet back to its origin, Carbon. All living things are made of a carbonic compound. So what you held was the giver of all life. The fact is that carp, since they are primarily vegitarians, have stronger stomach acid, which efficently breaks down their food.

Moving on, if I were to try carp I'd get one out of pine view or somewhere like that. If you can see more than 5 feet, I'd say its clean enough to eat one. I'm sure it would be good, though. Look at cabazon. One of the utmost ugliest fish that roam the pacific ocean. But when their filleted and cooked up their better than Halibut.
[signature]
Mc your right they are the ugs. but they are one of the best eating.
But watch out for the spines.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You can catch a carp in almost any water and clean it up yourself. I used to knock down some big channel cats in the Bear River and take them home and throw them in the horse trough for a couple of days with the hose slightly on to keep the water fresh and cool. Works great to clear our alot of the muddy taste.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sorry, Boys. I ain't eatin' no stinkin' carp knowingly. You can enjoy my share. There's other fish I'd much rather spend my time chasing and eating. Have at it.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]I stopped by Yuba one time when passing by, and 3 guys were fishing from the boat docks with night crawlers and catching buckets full of carp, all about 2 pounds. I figured if nothing else the kids could have a ball catching them. I don't know if there would be so many there now. Come to think of it, one time while walleye trolling at Yuba, I saw a couple of guys in a boat catching carp after carp and keeping them all. Maybe Yuba has SPECIAL carp! [/font]
[signature]