Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ice fishing
hey

I just want to know what type of tackle would i need to go get a 20 pound during that ice fish'n thing were talkin about.

write me bach and let me know what my dad wiil have to buy me.[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Medium Heavy to heavy rods with reels with good drags loaded with 15 lb mono test. You can tie smaller leader with a swivel between at the hook or lure. Just remember to set the drags to the leader strength. Why the 15 lb test? When you're see-sawin' a big fish through the ice, you need line that can handle the abrasion against the ice. I personally prefer 20 lb Fireline. It can take anything the ice can throw at you and come out a winner. Stay away for braided lines. They soak up water, expand in diameter, and freeze up on your reel. Draw backs are expense and knot slippage. Both are easily cured. Have your dad kick out the bucks to spool your reel. Easy right?! Tie your knots at home and add a small drop of super glue to the knot. Try not to get the glue on anything else though and dab off all excess. I have NEVER broken off using this method and having my drags adjusted correctly. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When it comes to tackle, there's a lot of ways to go. See what the big boys are using and go with that. No use going thru your own learning curve and trying to reinvent the wheel when somebody else already has. You'll save yourself alot of BS, not to mention money. Hope you have the opportunity to hook up on a twenty pounder and I hope I'm close by to enjoy the show![/size][/font]
[signature]
Sure BLM just tell the kid to have his dad pay for it all !! Sheeesh like I'm made of money or something. He'll have to settle for my old Penn 209 w/25 lb test that is already spooled. But I do like the idea of the siper glue. KentOfins tld me about that last sat. Worked great on his trolling rig I borrowed. I can hardly wait to see this kid catch a big Bow this fall. He caught a cut about 4 lbs and didn't quit smiling for days. We will be going to the Berry tomorrow and I'll let ya all know how we did.

Marty
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey! I was fishboy's idea for his dad to shell out the dinero! All Dads have a giant money tree out back; just ask any kid![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The 209 is pretty big and heavy for jigging all day but it's definitely got the the horse power to haul them in though. When we go, he can use one of my jigging rigs. I've got three or four set up just for mack jigging. I'll set him up for the day. Remind me the day before the event and I'll pack an extra. I carry two for myself every trip just in case. We'll let the old man pump iron all day with the 209. If you're like me you could use a little work out. That reminds me, I'll pack some ibuprofen in my tackle box too![/size][/font]
[signature]
Hey BLM its fall time and the money tree has lost all its leaves!! That happens at deer hunting time ya know. My boy had to go with his friends this year cause dad doesn't know how to hunt <vbg>. But come Sunday evening he returns empty handed, who does he ask to take him Monday ..... yep dear old don't know how to hunt dad. His deer is hanging in the neighbors tree as I don't have a tree that big LOL. Along with loosing all the leaves all the branches fell off too!!

Now about that old penn of mine <g> me thinks that young buck needs to pay some dues like we did. I could let him use the Abu Garcia but hey this kid is pretty spoiled as it is LOL. If you insist on spoiling him even more than he already is, I guess I could live with that. He is finally getting the fishing idea this year, not that he's slow or anything. Just plain stubbron and has to do it his own way. Being a good dad I let him ........ and catch all the fish while he's playin with that learning curve. But this fall he has decided that old dad may just know a thing or 2 and has been much improved. As with all kids he'll listen to you the 1st time LOL and his folks last! Ahhh to be young again. We are both looking forward to some ice fishing this year and catching more than those dang pearch to keep us sharp. Hey can I use a little ice pole with a beefier reel? I mean I have a couple of med/hvy rods, but they seem to take the challange out of landing them big boys. Just hang on and crank ..... well not really but close. Now the lighter poles require a bit of finese and some of your time to get them in. But I haven't been to Bear Lake since the 70s.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You can use any rod/reel combo you want! I've hooked up on big fish when undergunned with a light rod and reel setup. Nothing like bottoming out the rod and putting so much pressure on the reel you couldn't crank it. It's like hold on for dear life and hope your rod doesn't break. Been there, done that, ain't doing it again. I fish with AmbasSaduers and Heavy custom made ice rods. All are spooled with 20 lb fireline. Bottom line everyone has their own ideas about catching fish and what to use. I know what works for me so I stick to it. I just don't like hunting tigers with a pea shooter.....even outfitted with what I consider adequete equipment, it still takes finese to hook and land a big fish through the ice.[/size][/font]
[signature]
[size 1][font "Impact"][#0000ff]BearLakeMack[/#0000ff][/font][white]-^-^-^-^-[/white][Image: teeth.gif] [/size] [Image: clear_shim.gif]

that sounds like good sound advice
[signature]
Thanks BLM I can always learn a new trick, this old dog aint that old yet[Wink]. So I guess I'll be bugging ya for some info and advice as the time gets closer.

And I'm sure FB2 would love to borrow a set that you have, he hates learning this stuff. Well not really true now that I think about it ..... he hates doing things my way is all! I'll see what i can rig up for a short stiff rod, I have plenty of reels that can handle just about anything, the 209 being a mid weight reel. Ya need um a bit bigger when your hauling them up from several hundred feet down. But I can't ever remember catching anything at BL lower than about 25 feet. Is that still the same?
[signature]